Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

After that reassuring message from Greyson, I decide to head into the kitchen to eat, considering that I have been so absorbed by my hurt, I haven't eaten in the past four days. Stomach rumbling, I exit my room, prepared to attack the refrigerator but instead, I find my dad sitting at the counter.  

A melancholy look is plastered on his face as he flips through the newspaper in his calloused hands. Lightly, he sips on a can of Coke. His eyes barely even scan over the page until he turns it to the next one. His mind was obviously occupied by something else.

"Dad?" I break the odd silence. 

When he sees me his eyes widen as he struggles to keep his coca cola inside his mouth. "Drew, w-what are you doing up?" He stutters pleasantly surprised. I shrug then head to the refrigerator grabbing left over pasta. "I don't know, I guess I was hungry.You know, I always am." I joke, placing the delicious looking food in the microwave.

"Well," my dad begins flabbergasted. "I'm glad you're hungry." He sends me a small smile as the beep of the microwave oven goes off. I grab my food and hug him around the neck tightly. "I'm happy too, I love you dad."

And at that, I head into my room shoveling pasta into my face.  

********* 

*Three days later*

"No! Seriously, Bob! I've been working at the company for over ten years! I don't care if she has a stinking Masters Degree, I have a doctorate! You know what, fine Bob, I quit!" After hearing this bewildering statement I rush into the living room.

"Mom! What just happened?" I question anxiously as she twiddled her thumbs nervously. Sighing, she places her head on the counter. "I quit my job. I tried telling Bob that I thought I deserved a three percent pay raise but, as you can see, that didn't turn out so well."

Instantly, I wrap my arms around her and bury my face into her shoulder. "Don't worry mom, you'll find a new job, I know it." She looks to me and kisses my forehead. "Thanks baby girl, you know, you should go somewhere tonight. How about you go hang out with one of your friends? You haven't seen them in a while."

Exhaling, I shake my head. "Thanks mom, but I'm actually supposed to video chat with Greyson soon, so, no thanks." With that I hear my laptop going off with a Skype call. Instantly, I race into my room and accept it, obviously from Greyson.

"Drew!" He shouts, smiling at me through the screen. I laugh and mimic him in return. "Greyson! I have a surprise for you!" I tell him right away. I had been working on that song I started at Edisto and I finally finished. I wanted him to be the first to hear.

"What is it?" He questions with excitement. I explain it all to him and his grin grows even wider. "Oh my gosh, sweetie, that's amazing lets hear it!" Nodding I grab my guitar and begin to strum. The music instantly races through my body and the sound overwhelms me.

"Sat there on the dock with both my feet grazin' the water;

I can taste the island beaches on my tounge.

Splashes on the rocks got me imagining the palm trees

and the shore's lined up with coconuts.

Tidal waves and hurricanes,

broken anchors, crashing planes,

are washing me up on your sands

take my hand.

I wanna' be stranded on this island with you,

ooh, ooh.

I wanna' be stranded on this island for two

ooh, ooh,

and I hope it's somewhere far, where only we are

stranded on your heart. "

I continue to play my creation and once I finish I hear clapping. "That was fantastic!" Greyson gushes. "It's so good I wish it was mine." Laughing I add, "Well, you can take it. It's for you anyway." Greyson immediately stops and turns serious. "No Drew, it's yours. I couldn't do that."

"I want you to have it Greyson. From now on, it's your song. No arguments." He sighs in exasperation, knowing full well he wasn't going to win this one. 

**********

After video chatting with Grey for about two hours, I decide to check on my mom. She's working on the computer, searching for something. "Looking hard enough mom?" I ask, sarcasm drenching my voice. "Trying, there are a lot of available real estate jobs that I'm looking for. Hopefully, I'll get one."

"I know you will," I tell her. She just smiles and continues to mess around with the computer. Curious, I sneak a peek at the page she was on and find it on South Carolina. "Dreaming much?" I question. She laughs and adds, "I'm a mom, not dead!"  

********* 

Begrudgingly, I trudge out of my bedroom in the early afternoon light. I had stayed up nearly all night to help my mom find a job but she had sent me off to bed at four am empty handed. So, whenever I saw everyone rushing around packing boxes I was surprised.

"Uh, guys, what's going on?" I question still sleepy. Mom stands up straight after packing a box of books. "I found a job and we're moving." She seems happy in her accomplishment and I send a small smile. "Wow, that's great! But, why are we packing so fast?"

"Well, they need me at my first job Saturday."

"Isn't it just in another part of Florida? It shouldn't be that hard of a move."

For some reason my dad just decides to tune into our conversation.

"Drew we're not moving to another city in Florida."

Confused, I question them once more. "Then where are we going?" My mom sends a smile to my father and brother - who surprisingly wasn't playing a video game - then answers me.

"We're going to Edisto."