Chapter Four

Chapter Four

            The island breeze wafts throughout my nostrils. Smelling the enticing scent of ocean water and the paradise I dwell in, I inhale deeply. The beautiful island life swells up around me swallowing me in its natural glamor. Suddenly, a loud belching noise shatters my momentary serenity.

            "Ugh, AJ," I complain as the aroma of ketchup and lettuce infiltrates my senses. Her eyes are sparkling as she chuckles to herself. "Sorry, you know how Tanya's gets to me." Greyson is silent and if it wasn't for the slight pressure of his hands on my shoulders I would've thought he had fallen off at the bridge.  Then he speaks and I instantly obliterate any of those forethought's.

            "You should apologize," he begins. "That was pathetic." He burps louder than Alexandria ever could have. You could practically hear the smirk that was probably apparent on his freckled face. I shake my head in disgust and continue pedaling steadfastly. It was hard to believe I was the youngest out of both of them.

            "What did you say?" Greyson inquires. It is then that I figure that I must have spoken my thoughts aloud. My habit of doing that really should be eliminated. "Um, I said it was hard to believe I was younger than both of you."

"Really? How old are you?" You can hear the puzzlement in his voice. Great, I didn't want to tell him my age because yet again I'd be the "child".

            "I'll tell you if you guess correctly." I inform him. If he was going to find out I might as well receive a moment of entertainment. I can feel his weight shift on my pegs as he shrugs.

       "Um, fifteen?" 

      Bursting out laughing I remark, "No, not at all." He is silent again and I wonder if my outburst offended him.

       "Oh," he starts again, his voice reflecting dejection. "How much older than me are you?" Wait, he said older. He thought I was older than him?

            This time instead of me chuckling at his prediction Alexandria is the one who falls into contortions of laughter. "Dude, she's younger than both of us. She's thirteen." Greyson nearly falls off the bike causing me to swerve into the stop sign and the bike tilts over, landing on both of us.

            Alexandria screeches to a stop and immediately lifts the bike off of Greyson and me. She may act immature but as soon as something happens to me she gets all mother hen. I blame it on the age difference. "Holy Carp Drew! Are you okay?" She starts brushing off my back and I tap her hand away. She knew I was fine but she always insists on taking care of me.

             "I'm fine girl. Are you okay?" I question directing this towards Greyson. Nodding he brushes off the scratches on his knees.

       "Sorry about that. I kind of caused this little crash. I was surprised when you said you were only thirteen.. When do you turn fourteen?" Inspecting the state of the bike I find that the tire is now flat, thanks to a shard of a broken headlight and the spokes are dented. As I feared, it is unable to ride.

       Finally answering his question I say, "Next Friday. I'm going to have to call my mom to come pick us up. The bike's totaled."

            Greyson seems to contemplate on my response while Alexandria whines, "We were supposed to go down to the cove though." It's ironic how the mother can become the child in a flash. 

      "I know, but you have a soccer game at two anyway and it's twelve thirty now. We should really let you get ready anyway."

"Whatever, just call yo mama, chick."

"Don't try to talk ghetto."

"You know its swag."

"Yeah, as swag as Justin Bieber."

            Our little dispute is ceased as soon as that leaves my mouth because Greyson adds. "Actually, Justin is really nice but you're right, he doesn't have swag." Alexandria looks at me then to Greyson then back to me and goes into another laughing rampage. I couldn't help but chuckle too. Greyson chance just admitted Justin Bieber had no swag. If only the press heard that. They'd be eating it up like cake.

            Greyson looks warily at Alexandria and then I just mouth the words, 'She's high'. Cue for Greyson chortling now, he starts laughing. Now we go to break as I find this the perfect timing to call my mother and inform her of my predicament. Dialing the buttons I am greeted by her perky voice. "Hello?"

"Hey mom, um Greyson, Aj, and I need you to come pick us up."

"What happened?"

"Well, my bike crashed and let's just say its totaled."

"Is anyone hurt?"

"No ma, just a few cuts, and scrapes but we're good."

"Good I'll come and pick you up."

            I tell her where we are stranded at and she agrees to see us in five minutes. Slapping my phone shut I turn to see Greyson and Alexandria standing nonchalantly around the stop sign that destroyed my bike. "What?" I question at their statures. 

      "I was just thinking, besides you telling my your age and name I know nothing about you." A slight smirk plays on his lips.

            I instantly became nervous. It took me a while for me to tell people about myself. The only two people I had ever opened up to was my friend James and AJ. They were the only ones who hung around long enough to figure me out and honestly I didn't mind.

            "I'll tell you when you figure out yourself." His face falls and I smile cheekily. Graciously, my mom's car pulls up to the side of the road. The swampy marshland makes a sucking sound against her tires. Swiftly, Alexandria opens the door and climbs in. Keeping the door open for Greyson I usher him in the car. There was no way I was going to tell someone I just knew everything about me. If someone knew too much about you they could store it up against you and use it for their own purposes. I had learned this the hard way. Shaking it off I climb in the car knowing that my only worry now should be how my mom would react to Greyson Chance being our new neighbor.