Chapter Two

Chapter Two 

     Depressingly, my eyes pop open at five in the morning. AJ is supposed to be here at seven, so I decide to put my early risings to good use. Hopping out of bed, I open up the wooden dresser drawers and select my outfit for the day. For me, clothing isn't always about flawless style and looks. It's about being comfortable and feeling free to wear whatever you want without other people's judgment. Of course, people judged anyway but I honestly didn't care.

   Going off these morals, I slide on a neon green V-neck, black shorts, and my black converse. Grabbing my hairbrush, I comb out my long reddish brown locks. Honestly, I still had no clue how I got red hair when both my parents had brown hair. Genes were strange that way; add that to the list of reasons why I will never understand science.

   Exiting my room, I tiptoe through the living room, careful not to step on a squeaky board, and out the balcony door. The wind instantly whips my hair back, sending it flying around my face. Edisto was always windy thanks to the sea breeze.

   Inhaling the freshwater smell, I savor the aroma. I had missed this. Walking over to the railing, I look down into the marshland a good twenty feet beneath me. Hanging over the edge, I kick my leg over the railing. A few years ago I had learned to go this way when my parent's slumber was a necessity.

   Every time I would open the door inside the apartment, the alarm would go off, waking my mother. Let's just say that she is not a happy camper without her beauty sleep. So, as you can see, I preferred this strategy much, much more. Also, I kind of enjoyed it. I'm not going to lie.

   Meticulously, I edge my way down the siding, careful of falling. If I did, it would be certain death. If I was lucky, I would only be in a coma for all of my life. Either way, falling meant being a vegetable for the rest of my life or having an amazing view from six feet under. So, you can see my conundrum.

     Skillfully, I make it all the way down to the top of the next railing. 

   "What exactly are you doing?"

     The boy's voice breaks the silence of the early morning. I nearly scream and lose my footing, nearly. Looking up upon the silhouette of the boy I reply tartly, "Scaling a building like every normal person does. What are you doing up at five in the morning?" A smirk plays on my lips. I refuse to allow this boy to get the best of me.

"Apparently, watching an odd girl sneak out of her room." He responds to me sharply. I could practically see him rolling his eyes. In agitation, I climb back up and cross over onto his balcony. He had already irritated me and made me scale a building again and the sun hadn't even risen.

   "Okay listen," I straightforwardly begin.

"I came here for the summer for relaxation and to live on my island, alright. Not to let some random new kid criticize me, so please, I ask kindly, for you to knock it off. Oh, and by the way, I am not sneaking out. I just prefer climbing down the building."

     I could feel Rude Boy's eyes on me, scanning me. Surprisingly, he apologizes

"Alright then, I'm sorry, okay. I just didn't expect all this. It's much more different than where I am from."

     He gestures with his hand towards the major river, which runs behind the timeshare. The birds fly low over it, dipping their pink-tinged wings in the cool water; occasionally diving for the fish that called Edisto their home. Pelicans cry in the palmettos, South Carolina's state tree. It was beautiful, just the sight could silence thousands. It was serene.

   "I know," I answer breathy. "It can completely alter your appearance on everything." As soon as I say this, the sun begins to creep over the horizon turning the sky into a watercolor picture. Rude Boy's eyes study me; I can feel them searching my face. The appearing light now illuminates the bottom of his face. His skin is of average tone and light brown freckles grace his derma.