Chapter Sixteen

A/N Warning, there will be tears in this chapter. 

Chapter Sixteen 

*4 Days Later*

For once, I did not get up early today. I wanted everything but to be awake. If I did, it meant it would be the day I was leaving this place. Edisto, had changed my life. It gave me Aj, my best friend. It showed me the true and natural beauty of the world, the untouched portion of America. Most importantly, it gave me Greyson, and I couldn't find myself to say goodbye to him. I wouldn't ever be able to. I cared about him too much, it would crush both of us. How were we even supposed to keep up this relationship anyway? We'd be five hundred miles apart for a month, then that distance would increase to five thousand. How could I expect him to put up with that?

Thats why, when I did wake up, I immediately felt fear and pain in my chest. What made it worse was seeing all the suitcases lined up by the door. The room looked so empty. The couch was the way we had found it a month ago, stuck in the lonely corner of the living room. The coffee table was clean for once and the kitchen counter was free of any stain. Apparently, mom had gotten that paint off. It took her nearly three weeks but it was finally gone. I could blame Greyson for that. He wanted to paint my nails, you know have a "bonding time" and spilt the entire bottle of black nail polish.

Sluggishly, I make my way into the kitchen, wanting to see a bowl of cereal instead of the evacuation of our apartment. As I pour myself a bowl of lucky charms, I hear a light knock at the front door. Exhaling, I go to answer it and find Aj standing there, a dejected look on her face. Her eyes are red and puffy and I know for sure, that just by the sight of her, I'm going to lose it. Not only was I leaving Greyson, I was leaving her.

"Hey," She greets meekly, extremely abnormal for her character. "Hi," I reply in the same manner. We just stand there quietly for a few moments. She lets out a blood curdling exclamation and surrounds me in a hug. All sign of strength leaves my body and tears begin to pour out of my eyes. Both of us hold each other tight as we continue to sob, "Promise me, you'll text me everyday." She cries. I nod and pull her in closer. "I promise, remember, I'm coming back next year." She pulls away wiping the tears away from her hazel eyes. "I know, but its an entire year." I nod in agreement and Aj sighs. "I'm so sorry Drew, but I have to go for a soccer game. I love you." She hugs me once again tightly and I don't want to let go of my best friend. But we both know we must.

"I love you too," I whisper and pull away from her. She smiles meekly, in attempt at strength, and heads out the front door of my apartment into the cold rain. Somehow, even the weather knew what to feel. Pain.

*****************

Greyson and I sit quietly on the couch as my dad loads the car, holding hands. He came over just to say goodbye, but honestly, I knew I wouldnt be able to do this. As I hear the car door slam, I wince, knowing the finale was soon approaching. Nervously, Greyson begins to play with his bullet necklace that he always wears, his tell. Footsteps thud up the stairs leading to the vacant room and my dad and mom appear at the door, both of them all smiles, regardless of the situation. "You ready to go baby girl?" My dad asks the question I never wanted to hear. Obviously, I wasn't ready but I nodded anyway. 

As I descend the stairs, I feel as if I'm one of the convicts in the olden days heading to the gallows. Inside, I knew the end was near and it was going to be painful, but I prayed that it would be quick and painless anyway. Slowly, but surely, we make it to the bottom of the stairs and my dad turns and shakes hands with Greyson. "Well, it's been great knowing you Greyson and I really am sorry about this but I'm glad my daughter found someone like you." Greyson nods and mutters a soft and shy, "Thank you sir." You could barely hear him, the storm was so loud. My dad nods and loads the front seat of the car.

Now, all that was left was me and Greyson, standing beneath the thin strip of shelter, obscuring the heavy rain from my skin. My head faces the floor because I can't look him in the eyes and say it, that one word. His hand reaches mine and he holds it gently, the heat radiating from it even in the cold weather. Shuddering at his touch, I continue to glue my eyes to the floor knowing I will begin to have tears stream down my face if I look up. "Drew," his voice breaks the silent and in it I hear pain, sorrow, and fear. Right now, I wish to not be able to read him so well.

"I'm gonna' miss you." He states flatly. I nod, holding back tears threatening my eyes. His fingers find my chin and he tilts my face up, letting my eyes meet his trusting brown ones. "Why aren't you wanting to look at me?" He questions straight forwardly. I knew it was finally the time to speak so slowly, I manage out a phrase. "Because, I'm afraid of crying." He just smirks sadly and adds, "Don't ever be afraid to cry babe, its good too." I nod, just observing his features. His brown eyes are clouded, his full lips are struggling to stay in a smile considering the circumstances, and his freckles look so cute on him. Somehow he can pull them off unlike so many other people.

Suddenly, I can't handle it anymore and I hug him tight against me. His hands rest on my back as I begin to cry into his shoulder, releasing all my tears. His hand travels through my hair as I say everything I've wanted. "I'm just going to miss you so much. I can't stand the thought of you leaving me, even though I know it has to happen." He continues to hold me as I vent. "I just am going to miss you and I-I love you Greyson I can't say goodbye." He pulls away from me and brushes a strand of my hair back and locks his eyes with mine. "I love you too so much, and please don't say goodbye, it means goodbye forever. Just say see ya soon, please." He continues to stare at me as I nod, wiping away the tears on my face.

"Alright, see you Greyson." I state as I hear the car horn honk sharply. My parents patience was running thin. "See you," he replies not wanting to risk leaning in to kiss me in front of my parents. I smile smally then turns torward the car, and climbing in, not wanting to look back. As I buckle, I feel everyone's eyes on me and my mom questions, placing a hand on my lap, "You ready honey?" I nod, even though I wasn't ready. I would never be ready to leave Greyson, to never have the feel of his lips on mine again. It was impossible. 

As mom cranks up the car, I stare out the window, watching Greyson finally turn away and head back up torwards his apartment. Closing my eyes, I know I made a dire mistake and I have to fix it. But it was too late, or was it? "Stop the car!" I shout rapidly. In surprise, my dad skids to a stop and I crank open the door running directly into the downpour. Instantly, I am soaked. "Greyson!" I shout speeding torwards him. He turns just in time as I launch myself into his arms and kiss him. Heat immediately races through my body as the rain pours around us. His arms lock around my waist and I continue to feel his soft lips against mine. 

I savor his sweet taste, natural with a hint of his cherry chapstick. I run my fingers through his hair as he holds me up, continuing the kiss. Our mouths dance against each others as he spins me thorugh the freezing rain, both of us becoming soaked. This is our longest kiss, the first in front of our parents but I don't care right now. All I wanted was to be with him, to live in this moment, because I knew this would probably be our last kiss and I couldn't bear the idea. What pained me the most is soon we'd be returning to our lives before each other, where my life seemed so plain and empty. But, right now, I tried not to focus on that. All I did was kiss him, slowly and passionately, still knowing that all too soon, I'd have to let go.