Chapter 5: Jasmine takes action

I am woken up by May, her shaking me and mumbling.

"mmmhhmmm." I say turning on my other side.

"Jasmine! Wake up!" She says continuing to shake me.

I am now getting annoyed, the sun is not up, why is she wanting me to wake up?

"mmm, what May?!" I say after a fair amount of shaking.

All she does is point to the window. I get up and look out the window. There is a lot of smoke and a fire near the school. That could only mean one thing.

There is a fire.

And the only people's houses who are near the school was Lizzie and Rosealine's, families.

The next thing I know I am putting my robe and shoes on and running to my parents and brothers rooms telling them to get up.

I run to their houses, my mom and dad hitching up the carriage and Jacob and May following me.

When I reach their houses, they are both on fire, Peter is throwing water on Lizzie's house and another boy, James I think, was throwing water on Rosealine's house.

I don't hear anything, don't feel anything.

I see Diane running toward me crying.

"Oh Jasmine!" She says hugging me.

"Diane!" I say hugging her back. We stop and I look at both of the houses, engulfed in flames.

The breeze isn't helping the fire, I have a chill.

"Is everyone out of the house's?" I ask Diane continuing to look at the two houses, maybe 40 feet apart.

She looks at me, "I think so." 

Suddenly I hear Lizzie scream. "Where is Ezra!?" 

I look back at her house and my feet are ahead of my brain. 

I run into the house and up the stairs, fire surrounding me. I cough.

"Jasmine!" Multiple people scream I assume Diane, May,  Mother, Jacob, and Father.

"Ezra!" I say coughing.

I walk down a hallway and someone says "Jasmine."

My heart flips. Not him. I look into a room where the door is open,  Peter is on a ladder throwing water into the room through a window, Peter's face has worry and he looks like he wants to jump into the room and grab me.

I then think, why are all the doors and windows open? Fire needs oxygen to become bigger.

I quickly look at him, nod and close the door, taking off my robe and I block the crack so that no oxygen gets into the room.

I then hear screaming. I follow the scream and see a little boy about 4 crying and sitting at the end of the hallway.

I grab him.

"It's gonna be ok," I say wiping his tears. I cough more violently, the fire seems to be settling when I grab more blankets from a room and shut doors and put blankets in the crack, all while holding Ezra.

I run down the stairs with Ezra, still coughing, the roof is starting to fall.

No. I can't let him die.

I see Jacob out a window looking frantic. I scream to him and tell him to come to the door. He comes to the front door, opens it, I throw Ezra to him just as the roof falls.

I blackout.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up. I am in my room it is now I assume the middle of the day.

I look over and the last person I thought I would ever see in my room was there, sitting on my chair reading.

Peter.

He looks up when I look at him. Concern flooding his face. "How do you feel? Do you need some water?"

I pinch myself underneath the bedsheet, hoping this was a dream, nope, not a dream.

"What are you doing here?" Is all I say, voice weak.

"Well," He says sitting back down on the chair. "After the roof fell, Jacob came to me frantically, all of us were on the ground, hit by some piece of falling wood, he told me that the roof fell on you, Ezra was still in his hands so he couldn't get you, I ran to the entrance and tossed wood off you, I grabbed you, your family came around us, I picked you up and I went with your family back to your house, still carrying you, insisting to carry you, I took you up to your bed when we got to your house and we all have been taking shifts sitting in your room being by your side after the doctor came, it's about tea time right now." He says smirking at me.

"Wow," I say looking at the ceiling. "Thank you, Peter."

He shrugs while smiling. "No problem. I should actually be getting home, my parents are probably wondering where I am." He says getting up.

He turns to me with a smile and the book he was reading in his hand. "The Woman in White, my favorite." He maintains eye contact while he puts my book on my nightstand.

I smile. "Thank you again Peter."

He looks back holding the door handle. "Of course," He tips his hat. "Good day ma'am." Then he walks out.

I look back at the ceiling. Maybe I should give Peter another chance.

I smile. Just maybe.

Thanks for reading guys! I wonder what will happen next chapter...?