8. Mr. Ginarmous

I'm sitting on one of the tables at the back, while all the young mothers are gossiping and giggling. Edward is leaning against my legs, looking very timidly at the people who are his new classmates.

"Edward Cullen?" the teacher calls out, looking around for him. She's been calling roll for a while now...boring!

Edward timidly looks up and I hold my hand up, "He's right here," I answer.

The teacher smiles widely at me and flutters her eyebrows. She carries on with the attendance. And at long last, she ends with, "Yvonne Weber?" Then it's over!

She calls all the little kids to the middle of the room. Edward refuses at first, but after a lot of persuasion on my part, he grumpily walks to the middle of the room.

"Hi," a quiet voice purrs way too close to my ear.

"Hi?" I try.

The voice belongs to a very young looking lady. She looks about twenty-two? Isn't that way too young to have a kid.

"You look young. Younger than me even," she breathes, still purring.

"Oh," was my genius reply. Seriously...where do I get my brains from?!

"He's a cute boy. His mother must be beautiful," she continues. I smile at her, not bothering to reply.

"How old are you?" she asks.

Good God! Some people don't understand anything, do they?! I'm not telling her to shut up because that would be rude...okay, so mostly because I don't want to waste any energy.

"21" I murmur, letting the boredom seep into my voice.

"Wow! That's young!" she exclaims, completely shocked.

I shrug, watching Edward. He stands there, watching the other kids as they begin mingling. I notice a little girl watch him, obviously curious about the weird little boy.

"How old is your wife?" my annoying companion asks.

"I'm not married," I mutter back, my eyes still locked on Edward.

"Macy! Stop harassing him," another mother calls across the room rudely at my annoying companion.

But I suppose Macy didn't see that as a bad thing. Nope. She just called, "he isn't married, Emily," across the room. All the adults stare at me.

And the next thing I know, I'm hemmed in by the crazy women!

"Why isn't the boy with his mother then?" one lady asks.

"She's in Rome," I answer automatically.

"That is so irresponsible!" someone blurts.

"You poor thing! Having to raise your son all alone," another lady croons.

"I'm not his father," I mutter, utterly tired of the charade.

"What?!"

"I'm his older brother," I whisper, shrugging.

"Do you work?"

"Where are your parents?"

"Do you live alone?"

"You must be so lonely!"

And the questions keep coming. It's as if I'm a celebrity and they are the crazy paparazzi! Geez!

"Actually, ladies, it looks like my brother is settled in. I should go to work," I excuse myself and walk over to Edward, who is finally talking to another kid. The little boy has pale blond hair and thin, weak features, but he looks like a pretty decent kid.