17. Edward vs Henry

“Bloody sun in my eyes! Go away! God damn it! Go away! Who needs sunlight?!” I mutter groggily to myself.

               “Actually, the sun is vital to all life, so I suppose to answer your question; we all need it?” Edward murmurs softly from somewhere too close for comfort.

I jump about a foot in the air. “Edward! Privacy!” I shout at my grandfather who’s lounging calmly on my sofa.

               “Hmm?” he murmurs distractedly.

               “God! I need to move out!” I snarl, combing my hair. My eyes are swollen and my face is pale, even paler than normal, I mean. I’m so sick and tired of this messed up reality.

               “You know, you talk in your sleep,” Edward whispers, his eyes unfocused.

               “What?!” I demand, rounding on him.

               “It’s weird. I can’t quite place my finger on it, but for some reason...I had this compulsion to listen to you as you sleep,” he confesses after a moment.

               “You’re scary! You realise that, yes?” I spit, rolling my eyes.

So, anyone got a tough life out there? You know, anyone flunking school? Have horrible parents? No friends? Heh! You people have it easy!

Try being a half vampire-half werewolf. Yes, it’s pretty cool, but not when your vampire side hates the werewolf side and vice versa! Oh, but that’s only the tip of the iceberg. Hmm, try having majority of your family not need sleep AND feel compelled to ensure you don’t get any either! Still fun? How about a stalker grandpa who LISTENS TO YOU AS YOU SLEEP?!

God damn it!

               “It’s like the ghost of a memory, mumblings in their sleep...did I know someone who used to talk in their sleep?” Edward asks, not registering my freak out moment.

               “If I tell you, would you leave my room?” I bargain, frustratedly.

Edward doesn’t reply, he merely assesses me with his dark eyes. Time for a hunt, me thinks!

               “How about I tell you as we hunt? You’re obviously famished, and we all know how irritating you are when you’re hungry. Besides, I haven’t gone hunting in ages!” I breathe.

I walk over to my closet and pick out my clothes. Edward hasn’t moved a fraction of an inch. I head to the washroom and freshen up. I come back into the room, and he still hasn’t moved. Cold, marble statue that invades my privacy. Lovely!

I grab his arm and pull him down the stairs roughly with me.

               “Morning boys,” Esme calls cheerfully from the kitchen as we pass her on our way to the backdoor. “Breakfast for you, Henry?” she asks.

               “No thanks, Esme! I’m taking Edward for a hunt,” I call back.

               “Do you remember when Edward used to take you on hunts, Hen?” she asks, chuckling softly as I grimace.

               “So what? I’m your grandfather, yet I...don’t remember it? How does that work?” Edward asks once we’ve cleared the house.

               “Hmm, well, you are my grandpa, right? I’m guessing its senility?” I mutter darkly.

Edward ignores me and bounds off all of a sudden. I chase after him, only to find him stalking a large buck.

               “You can have one of the deers,” he murmurs, “grandson!” He emphasises the grandson bit, with a twinkle in his eyes.

               “Maybe I should go for the buck, old timer?” I suggest.

Edward grins ferally at me before he launches himself at the buck. Just as quickly as he pounces, I do too. Only, I’m not aiming for the buck. Nope, I’m aiming for Edward! I put more power to my launch, easily higher than he is, and just as Edward was about to get to the buck, I grabbed hold of his ankles.

In retrospect, that probably wasn’t my greatest idea. The both of us go tumbling and needless to say the buck and all the deers run away.

               “You sabotaged me!” Edward spits, pulling himself to his feet.

               “And you insulted me,” I shrug nonchalantly.

               “That doesn’t give you the right to screw with my hunt,” Edward mutters savagely.

               “Actually I had the same right to screw with your hunt that you did to invade my privacy!” I mutter back.

               “Hey, I’m your grandfather, no? I have every right to invade on your privacy,” he shoots back.

               “You know what? The only thing worse than having your grandfather trapped in a 17 year olds body is having your grandfather trapped in a 17 year olds body and behaving like a two year old!” I retort.

               “Wow. Letting off some steam, guys?” Alice smirks, walking into the clearing. “I’m assuming you got your memories back, Edward,” she adds.

               “Not all of it. I also seem to have realised a mistake I made in the past,” he murmurs thoughtfully.

               “What is it?” Alice asks curiously.

               “I should have thought my grandson some respect, shouldn’t I?” He says, grinning angelically at me.

               “God! Grow up!” I spit. “Go talk to Bella! Go get married again, and then leave on a long honeymoon!”

               “Uh huh, I knew a day of hunting was just what the two of you needed,” Alice murmurs sarcastically, shaking her head.

I shoot her a condescending smile and stalk off back into the house.