Chapter 2 - The Royal Ball

The forty fifth birthday of King Rupert was the most anticipated event for the whole Kingdom of Pendragon. Everybody was in the mood of festivity, starting from the Northern Border, Asphodel and Southern Border, Frontera up to the Eastern Border, Lyonesseand Western Border, Olympus. Every streets, corners and alleyways within the capital duchy of Camelot bear posters of greetings to the King. Several programs and gatherings were also hosted by the different industrial and business corporations in honor of His Highness.

But all of the celebrations could not even par to the revelry inside the Arondight Palace tonight. From the corridors up the towers, everything was covered with flags of royal blue and gold. The royal kitchen also prepared world renowned dishes that will leave every guests craving for more. It was indeed a lavish and luxurious event. Even the sets of tableware used were all plated with the finest gold from Pendragon's mining capital, Hesperides.

Iginala ni Gareth ang paningin sa napakalaking bulwagan. Gone was the usual hall where the King usually presided his meetings over the parliament, the place turned into a large marquee full Pendragon's finest ass-kissing individuals. Several reporters were also present to cover the event.

He was greeted by Halaena.

"Glad you could make it here brother," she gave her a smug.

He made his revulsion very obvious to the arrogance of his sister.

"You're such a sore loser kuya."

He wanted to laugh at her for thinking that he was actually swayed by her hollow threat to him. He did not come here to celebrate, nor to follow the orders of father. He came here to check on his mother. He could still remember the scene that happened a month ago...

He refused to even wink as Halaena literally pointed her gun on his head.

"I'm warning you brother. This will not do you any good, retaliate and I'll shoot."

A normal person would have already died on the spot due to heart attack. And in normal circumstances, he would do too. But knowing that it was Halaena who held the gun right now assured him that everything was just an act. She could not and will never even dare hurt him. Because despite her very tough façade, there was still the same loving and unexpectedly sweet little sister he grew up with. She was still the same sister who cried in his room privately every time the Queen scolded her. And she was still the same sister who helped him escape the confinement of his life in the luxurious cage of the palace walls five years ago.

He looked directly at her amber eyes -- the eyes that he himself have -- before giving her a reassuring smile.

Dahan-dahan niyang inilayo ang baril sa mula sa pagkakatutok sa kanyang ulo. He knew he had already won over her mind games when she showed no signs of retaliation.

And with pleading eyes she spoke, "The imperial consort Guinevere is sick, she wants to see you."

He was shocked. "Imposible? Paanong nangyari ito?"

Inilayo nito ang tingin mula sa kanya, "It was something unexpected, isang araw ay bigla na lamang siyang nilagnat, then she collapsed. The royal physician says it's an unknown viral infection."

He clenched his fist, how come that he didn't even know that his own mother was sick! Damn it!

"The palace kept it secret to protect the image of the royal family," anito na waring nabasa ang kanyang iniisip.

He was rendered speechless, How? Why? Last time he saw, his mother was as strong as a cow! How the hell did this happen?

Naputol ang kanyang mga katanungan nang muling magsalita ang kapatid, "Be there, otherwise I will personally scour the whole kingdom and bring you there myself. Even if I have to sedate you, I will," gone was the gentleness in her voice, she was wearing her Ice Queen mask again.