Chapter 22 - The Big Revelation

Steffanie was a little bit tensed. Hindi niya alam kung paano patutunguhan ang bagong kaalaman. Earlier today, she suddenly felt nauseous and dizzy. Noong una'y inakala niyang simpleng stress at pagod lamang ang nararamdaman. Pero nang magsimula na siyang maduwal at magsuka, doon na siya kinutuban. She suddenly made a mental calculation. Delayed na siya ng dalawang linggo.

Muli siyang napabuntong hininga.

"What's the matter, princess?" tanong ng kanyang kuya Michael Angelo. Kasalukuyang nasa lobby sila ng Lead Hotel. They were waiting for the arrival of their father.

"It's nothing," she said.

"I know a brewing problem when I see one. Alam mo namang nandito lang ako, princess. C'mon you can tell that to your big brother."

Was she that transparent? Was she that obvious? Nasapo na lang niya ang kanyang ulo.

"What's the matter? Wasn't your exhibit a success?"

"Hindi iyon about doon kuya."

"Then tell me what it is all about. You can lean on me, princess."

Huminga muna siya ng malalim. Tama ito. He was her big brother. All these years, ito ang naging sandigan niya. He was the one who gave her hope. He always made her feel loved and important. Ito ang kuya niya.

She summoned all of her courage, "Just promise me that you wouldn't berserk, okay?"

"Okay," he nodded.

This is it. "I think..." she trembled a little bit. Kung sakali kasi, ito ang una niyang pagsasabihan. She never mentioned it to Sofia earlier. Natatakot siya sa magiging reaksyon nito. And now, here she was, spilling the beans to her kuya.

"Go on..." he encouragingly said.

Napapikit siya. "I think I am pregnant," she suddenly said.

Namilog ang mga mata nito. "What?!" he stood in shock.

"I didn't quite catch this one. Ano?"

"I said, I think I am pregnant."

"But how?!" parang namatanda ang anyo ng kanyang kuya.

"Do I have to tell you how? Kuya, I am beyond the story of the birds and the bees."

Natigalgal ito. His brother was speechless. Kita niya ang pagtatagis ng bagang nito.

"Who's the father?"

Tiningnan niya ito sa mga mata nito. She wanted his understanding and not his condemnation. She wanted him to reassure her, not to convict her.

"Alam kong alam mo na kung sino."

"Fuck!"

Nagulat siya sa narinig. This was the first time she heard his brother curse. He was always the gentle and playful Michael Angelo for her. This side of her brother was unknown to her.

Ngayon pa lang ay nagsisi na siya at sinabi niya ito sa kanyang kapatid. Her brother was looking grim now.

"He needs to marry you."

She gave a smile to her brother. She briefly remembered the time when Gareth proposed to her. It was one of the happiest moments in her life.

Ipinakita niya sa kapatid ang suot na sigsing.

"He will, kuya. He will."

Her thoughts travelled to Gareth. Paano kaya nito tatanggapin ang balitang dala niya? Would he be happy like he always does? There were so many what ifs in her mind.