My What?

“Your chakra signature is the same.” Minato explains, casting Kakashi a wary glance, “That’s why I didn’t attack you out front. It confused me and I was waiting for you to get closer. The only thing I didn’t expect was for you to be…” He trails off, smiling weakly.

“Otherwise occupied.” Kakashi finishes for him and then shoots me a swift glare. “And don’t think you’re off the hook.”

The kids glance over. Naruto and Sakura are talking to Obito and Rin, wide smiles upon their faces as Naruto explains what exactly they did to Kakashi’s precious books. Sasuke stands there and listens, but doesn’t join in on the conversation. Mini-Kakashi is perched up on a tree branch a few feet away, legs stretched out in front of him, and watching us boredly.

I grin evilly. “I had to make them rated G for Naruto.”

Kakashi blanches. “You were going to let Naruto read them?!?!?!”

Shrugging, I have to fight against my laughter, and it’s obviously not working too well. Wiping a tear from my eye, I grin sheepishly. “How else…was he going…to…learn?” I manage between snickers, finally doubling over at the end.

Kakashi’s eye widens. “THAT’S WHY HE ASKED YESTERDAY!!!”

That only makes it worse. Falling into him, I try hard to stop laughing. Tears stream down my cheeks freely now and my lungs burn viciously. Kakashi scowls dirtily and flicks me on the nose, which doesn’t stop my laughter.

“What’s wrong with her?” Naruto abandons Obito and Rin and walks over to us, bending down in front of me so he’s eye level. “Mom, you’re starting to turn red.”

“Shut up!” I gasp, nudging him away.

Naruto grins and straightens back up. I shoo him away and he returns back to his new friends. Kakashi rolls his eyes and I finally stifle my laughter, grinning happily at him. “Sorry,” I apologize to Minato, who’s chuckling softly, “I colored over all the graphic images in his books and he’s upset with me.”

Minato nods slightly. “It’s strange…to think that you and him are the same.” He nods towards Mini-Kakashi.

I look over and find Mini-Kakashi’s eyes trained on me. My lips stretch back into a wide smile, one of which he doesn’t return, instead, he just stares at me. The only reaction is the added layer of steel that glosses over his eyes.

Sighing, I shoot Kakashi a look. “You were an ass when you were younger. Just saying.”

I stand before he can say anything, ignoring Minato’s small chuckle, and walk over to the tree Mini-Kakashi is in. I stand at the bottom and look up. “Oi!” I call up to him, smiling widely, “Can I come up?”

Mini-Kakashi peers over the edge, eyes hard. “I don’t own the forest.”

I think that’s a yes, but I’m not sure. Nonetheless, I leap up and land on the edge of the branch. Crossing my legs beneath me, I sit down across from him and smile sweetly. “Hello Kakashi-kun.” I nod in his direction.

He doesn’t reply.

“You know, in the future you’re much more talkative.” I continue and then my smile darkens. “And much easier to manipulate.”

Mini-Kakashi simply quirks a brow.

Sighing softly, I adjust my position so that I’m more balanced on the branch. I feel like I’m talking to a rock, he’s so unexpressive and unresponsive. Hell, I get more of a reaction out of Sasuke!

“So how are you today?” I finally ask. Dammit, I am going to get this kid to talk to me.

“Fine.” Mini-Kakashi answers smoothly.