Chapter 17

Chapter 17

We sat there. We just sat there, unmoving.

I wanted to laugh, as if all this was a joke, as if we couldn’t die after death. Death after death? That didn’t even make any sense!

My tears had long since stopped flowing, even though Cindy looked like a broken hoover dam. I felt numb.

“Sally,” Lucifer whispered, breaking me out of my daydream – or more like day-nightmare. “We have to be getting back soon.”

“Hmm,” as all I said. I honestly didn’t know what he wanted me to do.

Finally, Cindy got up. “I have to get going,” she said through her ever flowing tears. I nodded. She’d be safer back in heaven anyways.

“You can’t go back to Heaven,” Lucifer said suddenly, interrupting my thoughts.

“What? Why?” I protested. “Where else is she supposed to go?”

“Heaven will be over by traitors and daemons, Sally,” he reasoned. He turned back to Cindy, “I’ll drop you at one of the safe houses. You’ll have to stay there till we’re done with this entire fiasco.”

Cindy didn’t even try to protest, she simply nodded and agreed to follow whatever Lucifer had said.

“Let’s go then,” I said drearily. Lucifer shot me a worried look whereas Cindy continued to sob uncontrollably.

Lucifer held both our hands, and we materialized into thin air, much like Aaron did. The thought brought a fresh stab of pain to my heart.

In merely a few moments, Cindy was dropped off, and we were back in Lucifer’s room.

“Thanks,” I mumbled awkwardly.

Lucifer shook his head, and much to my surprise, he gave me a hug. For a second, I stood stiffly inn his arms, and after a while, I melted. The tears finally broke free, and Lucifer didn’t utter a word.

“Is this – Is this what it felt like when you saw Nate?” I asked through my sobs.

He didn’t reply, and I didn’t expect him to, but I felt him nod against my shoulder in response. I broke away from the hug and slumped down on his chair as he took the bed.

“What happens to them? The souls that die?” I asked nervously, almost afraid of the answer.

“Some get absorbed and trapped in the weapon. Souls can be injured in different ways. They can be injured and never killed, and can be killed but never injured.” Lucifer took a deep breath before continuing. “Aaron and Nate… They’ll be sent to the stars. Their souls were shattered, but never truly killed.”

“Life sucks,” I mumbled.

“That it does,” he said.

We both lapsed into a comfortable silence after that. My thoughts were wrapped around my friends and how I was going to explain what happened to Aaron. They weren’t stupid. If Cindy and I were the only ones to visit them, they’d know something was up.

“I’m leaving,” I threw at Lucifer when I finally decided to go to my own room. He just nodded at me, looking deep in his own thoughts.

Just as I left the room, I came face to face with a very evil, and annoyed looking Satan. I gulped – not only because of the expression on his face, but also because this was the first time I’d seen him outside of his chambers.

“Sa-Satan,” I greeted unsurely.

“What were you doing in there, Sally?” He asked in an almost knowing tone.

“I – Umm, we just got back from earth. I was just going to my own room,” I said nervously. I hadn’t lied, but just seeing the smugly evil expression on his face was enough to make me run away and hide.

“Nervous, Sally?” He asked slyly. Before I could answer, he pushed me aside, and barged into Lucifer’s room.

“What the-?” He asked looking startled. His eyes zoned in on me trying to scamper away and something clicked.

“Hello Lucifer. How are you son?” Satan asked in a mock fatherly tone and I could see Lucifer’s eyes narrow in suspicion.

“Father,” he said formally.

Satan made himself comfortable on Lucifer’s chair, while I still stood at the doorway nervously.

“No need to be that way!” For a second, he almost seemed convincing. If this was the first time I’d seen him, I would have definitely fallen into one of his traps.  

“So tell me,” he said idly, a smirk drawing on his lips, “where were you too the whole of today?”

“We were-” I began, but Satan interrupted me.

“I was talking to Lucifer.”

“What do you care?” Lucifer snapped.

Satan shrugged casually, but I could see his tail flicking side to side in annoyance.

“Boy, stop testing my patience,” Satan warned.

I gulped. If Lucifer’s story didn’t match mine, we’d both be screwed.

“We did nothing!” Lucifer finally said. “All we did was go down to earth and hang around like I do every time!”

“That’s what I thought as well, but you see dear boy, I sent a few spirits down to earth, and they never came back. I had wanted you back up earlier, but don’t you think it’s rather strange that you came back up and they haven’t yet?” Satan asked with an arched eyebrow.

He knew. I could see it in his eyes. He knew and was planning on something. Satan glanced at me quickly and smiled wickedly. I could sense the telepathic message he was trying to send me (or maybe he actually did): he knew I knew.

“Ever think that they didn’t find us?” Lucifer retorted slyly.

In one sudden movement, Satan got out of the chair, wrapped a hand around Lucifer’s neck and lifted him up in air, his toes barely touching the floor.

I gasped, my hands flying to my mouth to refrain from making any sound.

Lucifer’s legs were moving about, trying to find a proper footing, however, his face showed no signs of choking. His hands were curled around Satan’s neck, trying to pry them away, while his eyes held an icy cold glare.

“Ever think that I’d find out what you did?” Satan asked wickedly, cocking his head to one side to study a struggling Lucifer.

I didn’t move, for fear of going through the same fate.

“You can’t kill me this easily, you and I both know it,” Lucifer said through his ragged gasps.

“Oh, I can’t?” He asked smugly.

In the blink on an eye, Satan squeezed his arm just a bit more and Lucifer vanished. He just vanished, with no trace.

‘Wh-What did you do to Lucifer?” I asked, with a lump in my throat, immediately assuming the worst. “You didn’t kill him, did you?” I asked, trying to sound confident, but failing miserably.

“Oh, I didn’t kill him, dear Sally; but where I sent him, he’s going to wish I had killed him instead.”

I gulped when he turned to face me, his red eyes glowing. He walked towards me slowly, and purposefully.

“I don’t like traitors, Sally,” he said with a dangerous tone. “Now you’re going to completely destroy Heaven, whether you like it or not.”

************************************************************************************************************

I know it's a REALLY short chapter, but honestly, if I stuffed more in it, it would start dragging.

So the usual? Vote Comment and Fan please!

Will love you all forever if you did! :D