Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Sally’s POV

My head started spinning. My eyes widened and I started choking on my own spit. I shut my eyes and opened them again, as if to confirm weather of not I was hallucinating. I wasn’t.

I studied Cindy’s ginger hair and her chocolate brown eyes; the eyes which once twinkled 24/7 were now dull and lifeless. Aaron’s ever present smile was no longer present and even he looked like a corpse.

I could feel the tears threatening to spill when realization struck me like lightening.

They were dead. Dead. Dead…

They hadn’t seen me yet but I so badly wanted to run over to them. I wanted to act as if none of us were dead and living the afterlife. I tried to pinch myself, but nothing happened. This wasn’t a dream… or even a nightmare.

I felt a hand squeeze my shoulders and looked back to find Lucifer looking at me with a sympathetic gaze. I shook my head.

How could they be dead as well?  When did they die? How…?

For a brief moment, I wondered if they died the night I did. Perhaps they were sent to Heaven. Maybe that’s why I hadn’t seen them earlier. After a moment more of fighting with my emotions, my face contorted into an emotionless mask. I built a steel wall in front of my white brick wall to block any emotional leak.

I looked away from Aaron and Cindy, ordering my mind to not think of them.

“Order!” A voice boomed from the head of the table. I turned to look at the source of the voice. The man was… tall. That was the first word that came to mind. He wasn’t particularly handsome, but he looked like a Greek god – the actual Greek gods. He had thinning grey hair on the sides of his head and a beard growing at his chin.

“We all know what we’re here for,” he spoke again. “Sally Jackson!” I gulped when all eyes landed on me, and I slowly stood up. I avoided looking at Aaron and Cindy, for fear of seeing the expression on their face.

The man smiled a warm smile. I couldn’t help but relax and trust this man. “I am the assistant head of Heaven. Pleased to meet you.” I gulped again and nodded. No wonder he had the aura of a god.

I risked a glance at Aaron and Cindy and looked away again. Aaron looked like he had the shock of his life, and Cindy had tears brimming on the edge of her eyes.

“As we all know, Satan has been plotting something for quite some time now. Before Sally’s appearance, we had out doubts. However, Sally’s premature death, as well as her unjust sentence to Hell has proved that.” Everyone around us gasped. “Sally, you may sit down,” he said in a kind voice.

I could feel Aaron’s and Cindy’s gaze lingering on me, as if they were trying to read my mind. I shuddered at the thought, hoping they weren’t given any such powers.  

“Luke, have you made any progress on your mission?” He asked.

Lucifer shook his head with a remorseful expression. I sucked in some air, briefly wondering if Lucifer was going to reveal my position as Satan’ spy. “However,” he began slowly, “I’ve recently learnt that Satan no longer trusts Lucifer, even though he’s his son.”

My eyebrows first furrowed in confusion, but then realized that it was probably safety measures. I then let out a small breath relief. I didn’t know why, but for some reason, I was uncomfortable with all these people knowing that I was meant to spy on them. That, and also, for some reason, I felt like even though all these people were here to stop Satan, I couldn’t fully trust them.