Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Sally’s POV

The next morning – well, more like after a sleepless slumber – I woke up with a jolt. I didn’t have a grip on my bearings, and just for a small moment filled with hope, I thought I was back in my room on earth. I guess some wishes can never come true.

I looked around my lifeless room. There were no colors on the wall; it was whitewashed and the only furniture that occupied my room was a small bed that barely fit my body. What a joke, I thought humorlessly. For the first time since I arrived here, I realized the seriousness of my situation. I guess I would be happier if death was just that – death; if there was no such thing as after life where people still had to live in a much more horrid way.

Suddenly, a loud sound started blaring in my room. It sounded like police sirens and my ears couldn’t take much more of the pain. But the noise stopped as soon as it started, and in its place came a voice.

“Hello, all residents of Hell! It’s time for your wonderful torturous day to begin. Remember, don’t complain, your life will be like this for the rest of eternity! Enjoy.”

I scowled when I noticed the familiarity of the voice. Then it hit me; it was Satan himself, the person who was talking to Lucifer yesterday. I shuddered when I understood the different contradictions in his little message. What tortures us amuses him.

I almost jumped when I heard my door creak open out of the blue. What – or rather, whom – I saw standing at the door came as no surprise. “Your day begins;” he said monotonously, “get out of the room if you want the pleasures of bathing and breakfast.”

I sighed dejectedly and followed him out. The corridor was already filled with the residents, all standing in and ordered line, hands behind their back and not one of them talking. At this point of time, the silence wasn’t what scared me the most; it was how every single one of them looked like the worst criminals born in our history. However, they all ranged from around the age of 20 to the age of 70. It astounded me that age was no barriers for these convicts. 

I meekly walked to the end of the line, trying to avoid the burning gazes of their stares. Someone caught the corner of my eye and I think I choked on my own spit when I recognized him to be Hitler. I shrunk back even more wishing I’d never seen his film in history class. If he seemed that scary in a film, I was sure he’d be worse when face to face. I gulped.

“Alright men,” Lucifer called out, “and girl,” – I grimaced at this – “we have only one new entry today. So all of you will go along as per usual and I’ll meet you after breakfast. “

Everyone walked off, emotionless. I was slightly unnerved at the fact that I was the only girl here; but surely, there must’ve been some female criminals in our history. “You,” I heard Lucifer say, “follow me.”

I barely nodded and stared walking behind him. We barely walked for two minutes before I finally felt like exploding. The silence was torturing me and I couldn’t stand it any longer – I almost laughed at the irony of it.

“So…” I began, not really knowing how to talk to the Devil’s Spawn himself. He spared me a glance, but since he wasn’t glaring at me, I assumed I was safe so far. “Umm… where are we going?”

“The females’ chambers.” He answered in a slightly bored tone. Hmm… I thought mischievously, as a completely incredulous thought pops into my mind; I wonder… can he act like a normal teenager? He sure looks like one to me…

I tentatively asked, “How old are you?” I mean, I’m not stupid. I get that he’s probably over a hundred or something. However, the words that left his mouth made me do a double take.