Not Fragile

A/N: Geez, we're almost to the end.  3 or 4 more chapters left.  Makes me a bit sad, but everything comes to an end eventually.  And for those that have asked, I have no plans to write a sequel.  I've got other works in progress as we speak.

....

"Hello, sweet Isabella."

I refused to acknowledge him, instead focusing my energy on searching for Edward. He'd been standing in the line not a few feet from me, but now I couldn't see him.Where was he?

"Don't waste your time looking for him. I've arranged for your little boyfriend to be occupied for the next few minutes," he said with a smirk.

Full panic set in. What did he mean that he'd arranged for Edward to be occupied? If he'd hurt Edward, I was going to kill him.

"Where is he?" I demanded, anger overriding the panic.

"Busy," was his reply. He reached over and grabbed my arm, dragging me into a standing position. I quickly looked around and noticed that there were still a few people milling about. That was my chance to attract some attention. As he started to pull me toward the parking area, I tried to yank my arm out of his grasp.

"Let me go," I hollered at him, furious at the bastard.

He came to an abrupt stop and leaned in. "Listen to me, you little bitch. If you so much as think to cause a scene, I'll make sure you regret it."

Screw that. He could threaten me all he wanted, but I'd be damned if I wasn't going to make a scene. I knew that getting attention was going to be the only way he'd let me go. So taking a deep breath, I let out a bloodcurdling scream.

My scream startled the hell out of James. He obviously hadn't been expecting me to cause a scene after his little threat. I screamed and screamed, yelling that he was trying to take me, and that I didn't want to go with him. My screams garnered the attention of several people, and a couple of middle-aged men began running our way.

"You whore! You're going to pay for this," he hissed at me, before taking off toward the parking lot. I watched as the coward ran off.

"Miss? Miss? Are you okay?" one of my rescuers asked me.

I turned to look at the small crowd that had gathered nearby. I gave the man who'd asked the question a small nod while rubbing the arm that James had grabbed. An elderly woman led me over to the bench that I'd been sitting on, shoving a cup of hot tea into my hands. I had just taken a sip, when I heard Edward's frantic voice calling my name.

"Bella! Bella!"

I looked over and saw him running toward me. I set the cup of tea down on the bench next to me and ran toward him, throwing myself in his arms. I clung to him as he did to me, burrowing his face in my hair.

"God, Bella. I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I should have insisted that you stay by my side," he rambled in a voice full of regret and panic.