Chapter 14

*WARNING DOUBLE UPDATE BECAUSE IVE BERN HORRIBLE ABOUT UPDATING*

- - Chapter 14 - Orphan, Part 3

(...cont'. from Ch. 13 - Danny took Scott's hands in his. "Scott. You are not stupid. You got him to come, that's the most important part. You did just fine. Thank you."

Stiles looked in the mirror, and made a face of remorse. He spoke very softly to Scott. "I'm sorry Scott. I know you aren't stupid. I love you and I am glad you are here with us to help."

Scott looked at his friend's face in the mirror and silently mouthed the words "Thank you, Stiles.")

Stiles's jeep jerked to a stop at the hospital and the three boys piled out running into the doors of the ER. Derek was standing in the busy hallway, looking through a glass window into a scene of chaos. He had blood on him - Jackson's blood. His eyes were soft and helpless looking.

The three young wolves smelled his worry and knew that it must be serious. When they arrived at his side, they became still and silent. Stiles reached over and took Derek's hand into his. Looking through the window, they saw Jackson's whiter than usual body on the gurney, the sheets under him soaked in blood, his clothing cut off and lying on the floor by a bin.

Doctors and nurses in blue scrubs and yellow ER drapes were bustling over the pale blond poking and prodding. Stethoscopes, blood pressure cuffs, needles, you name it, and it was in use, flying just above their friend's still body.

Danny's hands were on the glass, his nose almost touching the cold surface. Beyond it's clear barrier was his mate; the love of his life. He glanced at the iconic heartbeat machine. It was just like on TV; the little dot moving across the screen drawing a line behind it, jumping up to make a triangular shape accompanied by a beep. Over the murmur of the busy workers, that beeping noise was all he could hear. Danny's entirety focused on it.

Beep. Silence. Beep. Silence.

It was like a metronome counting out Jackson's life. Danny was still silent. His own heartbeat in his ears, he felt a slight twinge when he noticed the sound of the machine matched it. His and Jackson's hearts were in sync. He sighed inside and a tiny speck of a tear flipped from his eyelash onto the glass that was preventing him from going to his mate. Danny just knew that if he could touch Jackson he would be okay. 'Please, just one more touch,' he thought as his dropping head bumped against the glass. "Dear God, please. I just want to touch him one more time. Please?" he was begging, so softly only the three other wolves could hear him.

Stiles had a lump in his throat and his tear-brimmed eyes over flowed down onto his cheeks. He was standing next to Danny. He dropped Derek's hand to put his arms around Jackson's mate, pulling him into him. Scott joined them, tears in his eyes as well. Derek didn't join.

Stiles looked up at his mate, the Alpha. Derek's face became hard and he clenched his jaw. He was fighting inside.

'Hold it together Hale,' Stiles heard him saying inside. 'Jackson won't d-' and he stopped abruptly. Stiles felt his heart skip when he saw Derek's right eye overflow and a single, large tear ran down his face. Derek's composure failed as the tear broke loose and gasped as he jerked at the loss of control and tears flowed freely. He cried out softly shuddering and angrily dashed the tears from his face, clearing his throat.

Scott and Danny looked up to join Stiles watching their Alpha, their guardian, their protector, break under the strain and show his emotions, powerless to do anything. Danny withdrew from the boys' grasps to go to Derek's side and took his hand. Derek gasped when Danny touched him.

Danny smiled softly and leaned his head on Derek's shoulder. Derek turned to hold him and comfort him. Derek reached up and stroked the brunette boy's hair and sent out his scent of strength and encouragement. Scott and Stiles came over and joined in a group hug.