Chapter 11

*WARNING DOUBLE UPDATE*

- - Chapter 11 - Stray

(...cont'. Stiles and Danny came over and they shared in the love of their alpha, and each other in a big group hug.

The room was full of laughter, the scents of happiness, brotherhood, love, and togetherness. It was good and it was perfect. They were family. They were Pack.)

* * *

The renovations at Derek's house are almost complete. The work has been hard and tiring but it has brought the pack closer. Derek, of course, does most of the work himself. He isn't sure why he feels compelled to do it. That's a lie. He knows exactly why. Two reasons: to honor his family to bring their estate back to it's former glory, and for his mate Stiles.

The Pack has gathered, like they do every full moon for the hunt and for recreation and training. Derek is a patient instructor but won't accept from each of his wolves, even his mate Stiles, anything less than their best. He wants them to be the best they can for their mates, for the pack, and for themselves. He pushes each one to take the extra step, swim one more lap, lift 10 more pounds, read one more chapter, each time. He is strengthening their bodies, their minds, and their spirits. He loves each one, and would do anything to protect them. Like a wolf and its offspring, you don't mess with them or you will suffer the parent's wrath.

It is early afternoon, after lunch, Derek is in the backyard, placing the last brick in what will be a very large outdoor barbecue grill. Jackson, Danny, and Stiles are in the pool, splashing and yelling and jumping on each other, enjoying their summer. Last night was the second full moon for each of the young wolves and they are relaxing after their hunt, enjoying each other.

Derek looks up when he hears Stiles yell, "Derek, help!", only to see it's because Danny and Jackson had ganged up on him both splashing him at the same time. He smiled, and his heart rate slowed again.

"You asked for it Stiles. I told you the bucket wasn't a good idea. You dished it out, now take it," he laughs. He looks and Stiles is staring back, his mouth open and arms out with palms up in mock surprise.

Danny and Jackson, pausing briefly because Derek was talking, just looked at each other, then quickly to Derek, seeing an almost imperceptible nod. They grinned and both jumped on top of Stiles, pushing him under, laughing. Stiles resurfaced a few feet away, head popping above the water. "No love. No love I tell you!" he chortled, which got him another round of splashes.

'I love you, you know that,' he thought to Stiles. 'You'd better. And yes, I love you too Der,' was the silent reply he got back. Derek smiled and went back to his work, setting the level on top of the brick he has just set. The final brick.

He was concentrating so intensely that he didn't realize the splashing had subsided somewhat. What he didn't see was Jackson, carrying the plastic bucket filled with pool water, sneaking up behind him. Danny and Stiles were in the pool, bobbing, edging him on silently.

"What?" Derek said as he started to turn, sensing something behind him. Too late. Jackson upended the bucket over Derek's head, soaking the dark haired boy. He laughed and quickly turned to run back to the safety of the pool.

Derek let out a loud growl, whirled and ran after him. Jackson heard the growl, sprinting for the edge of the pool. "Ahhhh! Derek no!" Derek caught him in a full side tackle, and his forward momentum sent them both into the pool, causing a very large splash.

Under the water, Jackson wriggled free and retreated to the side of the pool where Danny and Stiles had high-tailed it too as well. He surfaced between the two boys, laughing and sputtering. The three of them looked and Derek hadn't surfaced. Stiles knew Derek was an excellent swimmer, so he was suspect at the delay.