95 | ACT VII, SCENE VI

P R E V I O U S L Y

Then I closed my eyes and saw her in my mind, before the last breath finally slipped out of my body.

[AUTHOR'S NOTE: POSITIVELY DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU ARE ALONE. THIS CHAPTER IS EMOTIONALLY HEAVY SO PLEASE CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED.]

KNAVESMIRE, DRACNESSE.

EDWINA

THE WORLD HAD FALLEN SILENT.

There was nothing. No one. Nothing left. Nothing at all.

My mother, dead.

My father, dead.

My brother, most probably dead.

My sister... I did not have a sister.

And my husband - lords, I had to find him. I had to put my hands around him, I had to feel his hands around me. I needed to feel that heart beating inside his chest, I had to know that there was still someone left breathing for me at the end of this. That there was still someone worth living for.

Worth existing for.

There was no salvation left for me. The devil would come and claim me at the end of my life and drag me to my private hell to punish me for all I had done. I deserved... I deserved every last bit of pain possible for doing this. For destroying my family.

For damning myself to the fucking moon and back.

Pandora should have killed me then and there and be done with it.

A vile person like me did not deserve to live.

Every breath I drew was more painful than the last as the dying sun slowly set, disappearing between the ruined hills of Steffith. Dying. The world was dying, and I was dying with it.

I had to find him.

Tristan. I had to find him. I had to make sure he was alright. Knowing him, he would not rest until all his wounded men were tended to... all those men who looked to their calm, steady King for reassurance and support. I knew he would not rest until he had gotten the casualty lists, lists of those thousands of men who had died in this war.

Not a war. A massacre.

My feet dredged towards the ruins of Calchester which lay smoking a few miles away, my heart dead and empty and hollow - more empty than I had any right to be.