10 | ACT I, SCENE X

P R E V I O U S L Y

I slowly pushed open the door to her room. The cup of coffee fell from my hands and stained the floor. She was fast asleep!

RYVENNDEL MANSION, BELLHAVEN, STEFFITH

EDWINA

I WOKE UP WITH A start to the sound of shattered ceramic.

"Ed - Edwina - is that - is that you?" I heard a soft voice stammer. I blinked, trying to get up.

There was a strange hammering in my head that surprised me to no end as I rubbed my eyes.

"Huh?" my voice was groggy. I heard curtains being drawn, further increasing the agony in my head as the light my nerves raw.

"Hey, it's me, sleepyhead, it's Amphitrite!" I heard my sister shriek into my ear as I finally saw her face come in focus.

"Amphi?" I asked, confused. The woman! I had seen the tall woman with black eyes - where was she? And who brought me here?

"Idiot, open your eyes!" she lightly slapped my cheek as I rubbed my eyes further. My sister bent down to examine my face, light blue eyes wide. "What have you been doing since the last few days? Hibernating?" she asked.

"What? How did I come here?"

"Here?" she gasped. "You've been here since the evening your marriage was fixed, sleeping!"

"But... I was in the corridor," I whined.

"Corridor?"

"Uh... with Valmont. And he - lord, he chok-" I suddenly stopped mid sentence, pulling up the sheets to run my fingers along the skin of my neck. There was nothing.

And yet, I had felt those cruel, silk hands around me, touching me. His hands. Like a necklace of satin, white and cool. Strangling me.

"Did you see a woman?" I asked.

"What woman, Edwina? Can you stop being so bloody dramatic?" Amphitrite tsked.

"There was a woman, Amphi. In green robes. She was - lord - she was tall! And I smelt something burning - like acid. Didn't you see her?"

Was I going mad? What was happening to me? Was I losing my mind?

"You're impossible," she shook her head hopelessly.

"I'm not," I huffed. "And how did I end up in my room?"

"What is wrong with you today?" she groaned exasperatedly. "You've been in your room since two nights!"

"I haven't!" I protested, "I was in the corridor. And then - I... I passed out!"

There was only one person in the corridor when it had happened, I realized. The person I'd been arguing with. Had... had he brought me up to my room?