40 | ACT II, SCENE XII

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Are we interrupting something here?" asked a pleasant voice from behind us. Horrified, Tristan and I both broke apart and looked up.
The Dessari had found us before we had found them.

VEZORT ISLAND, OCEMOND SEA.

EDWINA

TAKEN ABACK BY SHELL SHOCKED surprise, Tristan and I untangled ourselves from each other and got up awkwardly. The mischievous glint in his deep blue eyes vanished at once, and I managed to arrange my face back to its cold look.

They had found us.

We were the hunted, and they were the hunters.

Standing over us, watching us with a dreadful, cruel glint in their eyes, was a group of over one dozen men.

The Dessari.

They were all ivory skinned, with almond shaped eyes the colour of the warm blue sea. None of the men were mounted, there were no horses in sight. All of them had bronze colored hair. They were dressed simply in travelling clothes, yet a man at the front was dressed more richly than the rest. He had been the one who had spoken.

A malicious glint sparkled in the depths of his soulless eyes.

Suddenly, the man chuckled.

It felt hollow and empty and soulless, and I knew that something was wrong with him.

"Travelers," he spoke again in an accented lilt, "are you lost? Or under danger of attack?"

"We are good, thank you very much, stranger," Tristan said stiffly, trying to keep his tone warm but the ice crept into it steadily, one inch at a time.

The lines of the shady man's face lightened as he gave a honeyed smile to us.

"Are you... looking for something?" he asked cheerfully, wringing his hands.

"We were-" I began.

"We were not-" Tristan cut me off brusquely, tightly clenching my fist as a signal to shut up.

"Looking for a piece of... the Logogram?" the strange man asked with a twinkle in his eye.

My jaw nearly fell, Tristan sharply drew a breath as we both huddled closer to each other in an involuntary second.