81 | ACT V, SCENE VIII

P R E V I O U S L Y

"It was in the Louvre."
"In the Louvre."
"The Louvre."

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT

EDWINA

"EDWINA. EDWINA, WOMAN, DAMN IT! Open your eyes!" a silk voice assaulted my senses, snapping me back to reality. I came to suddenly, head spinning, sweating buckets, to find myself holding a white hand. The knuckles were bleeding and raw from scratch marks where I had raked my nails over the skin, and I looked up, horrified, to find the hand belonging to Tristan, his eyes dark with worry and concern.

"I'm sorry, I'm so-"

"-shh," he silenced me with a finger to my lips, and pulled me into his embrace, wrapping his hands around my still shaking body. I could not believe what I had just seen, what I had just experienced.

I had lived in another life.

I had been dying in another life.

"Tell me," he said softly, pulling me back to wipe the sweat beading on my brow, "what have you seen? What did they do to you?"

I noticed Amphitrite standing in a corner, eyes contrite, Eric with his arms crossed, face sorrowful. And then my father, who looked at me with steady eyes observing my every move, but even his face had turned whiter than a sheet.

"I did it for you," he pleaded, taking a step closer to me. I held out a firm hand to stop him, my blood boiling.

"Don't. Don't you fucking touch me."

"Edwina," Tristan pleaded urgently in my ear. "You're scaring the daylights out of me."

I was still shaking, my mind reeling, as everything slowly began to sink in. This was the reason. The Rotavelles wanted me dead so badly. There was a reason. They had been trying for so long. I had been missing for ten days after my Trials, they had been trying to kill me in that time. They could not find me. Because I was... dying. In the mortal world.

"Tremayne. Valmont. Tremont," I croaked, almost giggling. Why did everything bad always happen to me? A magnet for disaster, that was what I was.

I just wondered how drunk the gods had been when they wrote out my destiny.

"Hey - please. Try to understand," my father began, but my grip around Hellfyre tightened, knuckles whitening, making me stop. In a way, it made me laugh. Hysterically. Tremayne. Valmont.