5 | ACT I, SCENE V

P R E V I O U S L Y

The entire room watched as Cosmo then slowly crumpled the paper in his fist, expressionless, and put it down with a cold precision. His eyes grew cold as ice. His lips opened to speak.
"Drusilla Everly of Normount."

CALCHESTER CITADEL, STEFFITH

TRISTAN

I HAD SEEN GHOSTS BRIGHTER than her soul.

Her lips were blood red, her lids dusted with stars. My blood boiled at the sight of the woman whose family I hated. And yet, I hated how seeing her always triggered my predatory instincts, her mere sight an aphrodisiac to my senses.

I despised how badly I wanted to ravish Edwina Tremayne and shut that sweet mouth of hers with my own.

"Drusilla Everly of Normount," Cosmo had read out, crestfallen. The hall fell dead silent, completely horror struck, not a single voice to be heard. All eyes turned to the two women who I hated with my life.

Drusilla Everly, daughter to the cunning Deimos who interfered in our war and took away half the river, leaving the Tremaynes to resort to the murder of my sister.

She was gloating, her purple eyes alight and a smug smile sat atop her pink lips as she combed her hair to a side, joyful. Yet her expression fell when she looked at everyone's angry stares, and then met the livid eyes of the red haired Tremayne woman sitting beside her.

Tremayne and Everly.

Had these two families not existed, my sister, Elodie, would still be alive today.

To say that Edwina Tremayne was looking angry was an understatement. Haughty and proud, the woman looked like she had no intention of letting someone else take the crown.

Her irises were pools of teal green, bright and sharp as a knife yet hardly concealing the fire that sprung up behind them. The red lips tilted up in a cruel smirk, seeing the empty silence at the declaration of the third Monarch.

"There has been a mistake, Cosmo," the rich voice tumbled from her full lips. "That name was supposed to be mine."

"This cannot be," her killer of a father, Lucius, said. "This... cannot be. There has been a mistake."

"Just because your precious daughter didn't get her wish, doesn't mean there has been a mistake, Lucius!" Deimos spoke up. He possessed the same dark hair and violet eyes of his House, Everly.

"This is not possible!" Lucius screeched. "The third name should have been my daughter's!"

"You," Drusilla flipped back her hair, "need to accept your new Queen."

"But this is irregular-"

"-her name came out!"

"-and impossible-"