1 | ACT I, SCENE I

P R E V I O U S L Y

'You have done things to the future that will shake the whole of Endollon.'

LENOX HILL HOSPITAL, NEW YORK CITY, THE U

LENOX HILL HOSPITAL, NEW YORK CITY, THE U.S.

EDNA TREMONT

"I'D RATHER HAVE THE TRUTH, please," I began, taking a seat and crossing my ankles. My voice was weary and anguished, defeated and broken, despite the beauty everyone claimed I possessed but could not see.

That was what beauty was, in the end. Superficial, as all things were.

"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it," quipped Nathan Parker, the head of Cardiosurgery. His alert grey eyes watched me carefully, like a scientist observing one of his experiments.

"They would, Doctor Parker. I, however, am not a man," I snapped my fingers , eager to go home, but most importantly - to get out of my current predicament.

I sat in front of nine renowned doctors in the huge, glass walled room, watching me as if I were one of their specimens for examination. They were the finest cardiothoracic surgeons from every corner of the world, people I'd sought out with my extensive resources and wealth.

For as long as I could remember, these nine people had been trying their best to cure a person with a condition that seemingly had no cure.

Me.

There was Nathan Parker, Boston's renowned hotshot specialist, a man who did three bypasses a day and thrived on ego and coffee.

There was Sophia Grey, the director of the World Health Organisation, with her observant yet sweet and loving nature, trying to round up any  help she could find for me.

And then there were the rest of those doctors too, people of knowledge and wisdom and skills, people who had their whole lives in front of them to do with as they pleased.

And then, there was me.

A twenty one year old, unmarried woman who was beyond help with a befuddling heart condition.

The truth was, I was dying.

I'd been diagnosed with a rare heart condition years ago, yet no one knew how to cure it. What they did know, was that there was a very large tear in my ventricles. Numerous angiograms had shown that it was barely hanging on by a flap, yet still pumping blood by some miracle.