27 | ACT I, SCENE XXVII

P R E V I O U S L Y

"The best way to make alliances is not by pulling out a man's heart or slitting his throat. The best way of making alliances-"
"-is marriage," finished Emerick with a greedy smile.

 The best way of making alliances-""-is marriage," finished Emerick with a greedy smile

ARCTON FORTRESS, RIMEBAY, VERTGATE.

EDWINA

"BUT... WHO WILL BE MARRIED?" Llewellyn asked from the crowd, looking at Eros, who always had an answer. Everyone else was busy considering the proposal. It definitely made sense, to be honest.

"You have a grandson!" Eros merrily shouted at Elias, pointing to Favian. "And I have a granddaughter!" he exclaimed, gesturing to the flabbergasted Vanessa. "Let these two cousins marry and put an end to the war!" he yelled happily.

"No!" a cry of protest bubbled straight from Vanessa's lips as she nearly fainted, reeling from the shock.

"Yes!" Favian whistled, chuckling appreciatively as he raked his eyes down her body, making my skin crawl.

"Eric, no," Vanessa worriedly whispered to her elder brother, whose grey eyes were sunk in thought. Frightened, she kept on taking steps backwards as she finally collided with as pillar and hurriedly hid herself behind it, away from Favian's uncomfortable gaze.

"Nessa," he croaked, "this is the way. This is the only way."

"No," she begged. "Please, Eric - no."

"You are a LeVane," her brother looked hard into her gaze. "And you must do your duty like the rest of us," he said after a moment of thinking. "I, Eric LeVane, King of Endollon, do hereby declare this a marital alliance between my younger sister, Vanessa LeVane and my cousin, Favian Rotavelle!"

"No... no, please," Vanessa's eyes began to fill with tears as she collapsed down the pillar, covering her ears to hide Favian's loud chuckles. Amphitrite sadly tried to pull her up, failing, and Llewellyn sauntered over to help her.

Together, the both of them pulled up the weeping goddess of nature, and she fell right into Llewellyn's arms, clutching at his robes for dear life. He gently pulled her to him and hugged her tightly, muffling her sobs.

"They will be married in the span of the next one month," Emerick said coldly without sparing them a glance, angrily rattling his chains.

"You should let go of my to be wife, Llewellyn," Favian hissed from a corner, baring all his teeth, eyes greener than ever. "Such intimacy... is reserved for our wedding night," he leered.

"Please, I don't want to..." Vanessa cried harder, eyes reddening. Llewellyn ignored Favian, hugging her tighter still.

"I am sorry, Nessa. But it is the only way," Eric nodded his head sadly.