seven.

GENEVIEVE

┏━━━━°.•☆•.°━━━━┓

The walk back to the campfire was so awkward, Genevieve found it almost suffocating. Annabeth's stormy eyes were fixated in front of her and Jason looked deep in thought. She felt bad for being so cold to him but still didn't know if she could fully trust him.

The last time she had made the mistake to trust the wrong person, it had cost a life and Genevieve wasn't willing to take that risk again.

She felt a tap on her shoulder and her cinnamon eyes had met with Jason's cerulean ones. He had an apologetic look in his eyes and spoke.

"I'm sorry." he said, "I mean, I still don't really understand what's going on but I know that it's my fault—"

Genevieve placed her hand on his shoulder. "It's not your fault."

Jason frowned obviously bewildered by Genevieve's sudden change in mood. She held a guilty look in her eyes and carried on.

"I understand that you're confused and scared and that you don't know what's going on." she said sympathetically, "And I've been no help. So I apologise."

Jason smiled gratefully at the daughter of Apollo and stuck out his hand for her to shake. "So...are we cool."

Genevieve exhaled softly and shook his hand. "We're cool."

They both shared a toothy grin whilst Annabeth glanced over at the two, feeling a wave of nostalgia wash over her. She felt a lump form in her throat as she thought of Percy but sauntered ahead of the two teens, not wanting Genevieve to see her crestfallen expression.

As they approached the campfire, the deafening screeches of demigods trying to sing almost burst their eardrums. Genevieve felt a sense of belonging as she glanced across at the scene before her. The amphitheater steps were carved into the side of a hill, facing a stone-lined fire pit. Around fifty or sixty kids clustered into groups under various banners, screeching, singing and laughing at the top of their lungs.

Genevieve spotted Leo sitting with a bunch of burly-looking campers under a steel gray banner emblazoned with a hammer— the sign of Hephaestus. Standing in front of the fire, half a dozen children of Apollo with guitars and lyres were jumping around, leading a song about pieces of armor, something about how their grandma got dressed for war. Everybody was singing with them and making gestures for the pieces of armor and joking around. It was quite possibly the weirdest thing Genevieve had ever seen—but it made her feel like she was finally at home. As the energy level got higher, the flames did too, turning from red to orange to gold.

Finally the song ended with a lot of rowdy applause and Chiron trotted up, brandishing a spear impaled with toasted marshmallows. "Very nice! And a special welcome to our new arrivals. I am Chiron, camp activities director, and I'm happy you have all arrived here alive and with most of your limbs attached. In a moment, I promise we'll get to the s'mores, but first—"