two.

JASON

╔═════ °• ♔ •° ═════╗

They didn't try very hard on the worksheet. For one thing, Jason was too distracted by the storm and his own mixed-up feelings. For another thing, he didn't have any idea how to "name three sedimentary strata you observe" or "describe two examples of erosion."

Leo was no help. Nor was Genevieve. Leo was too busy building a helicopter out of pipe cleaners whilst Genevieve was bopping her head aggressively to her music. Jason had learned to accept that they were weirdos.

"Check it out." Leo launched the copter he had made. Jason figured it would plummet, but the pipe-cleaner blades actually spun. The little copter made it halfway across the canyon before it lost momentum and spiraled into the void.

"How'd you do that?" Jason asked.

Leo shrugged. "Would've been cooler if I had some rubber bands."

"Show off." Genevieve muttered as Leo grinned at her cheekily.

"Seriously," Jason said, "are we friends?"

"Last I checked."

"You sure? What was the first day we met? What did we talk about?"

"It was ..." Leo frowned. "I don't recall exactly. I'm ADHD, man. So is Genevieve. You can't seriously expect us to remember details."

"But I don't remember you at all. I don't remember anyone here. What if—"

"You're right and everyone else is wrong?" Leo asked. "You think you just appeared here this morning, and we've all got fake memories of you?"

A little voice in Jason's head said, That's exactly what I think.

But it sounded crazy. Everybody here took him for granted. Everyone acted like he was a normal part of the class—except for Coach Hedge and Genevieve. He looked over at the energetic girl who was imitating playing a guitar whilst completely ignoring his existence. Okay, he thought, Maybe more on the Coach Hedge side though.

"Take the worksheet." Jason handed Leo the paper. "I'll be right back." He grabbed Genevieve's hand and pulled her along. Before Leo or Genevieve could protest, Jason headed across the skywalk his grip tight around Genevieve's soft hands.

"I need to talk to Coach Hedge." he explained as Genevieve nodded cautiously at him.

Their school group had the place to themselves. Maybe it was too early in the day for tourists, or maybe the weird weather had scared them off. The Wilderness School kids had spread out in pairs across the skywalk. Most were joking around or talking. Some of the guys were dropping pennies over the side.

About fifty feet away, Piper was trying to fill out her worksheet, but her stupid partner Dylan was hitting on her, putting his hand on her shoulder and giving her that blinding white smile. She kept pushing him away, and when she saw Jason and Gen she gave them a look like, Throttle this guy for me. Slowly her gaze settled on their hands and her lips curled into a frown, which Genevieve replied to with a reassuring look. Piper nodded and swiftly looked down at her worksheet.