Chapter 17

Pavel's POV

We've been in Georgia a week and a half. Hannah and mamaw are outside in the pasture dealing with a less than cooperative horse. Pop is downstairs asleep. Bones is currently in his room. I believe he's working on something.

I walk down the hallway nervously towards his room. I look at the door to his room as if it were something attempting to kill me. I'm not sure I've ever been this afraid in my life. I start to raise my fist to knock on the door but end up walking down the hallway to my room. I throw myself down on the bed. I work up the nerve and walk back down the hallway.

I still worry that he'll say, "Absolutely not." I wouldn't exactly blame him. This is an extreme move for an almost 19-year-old, but I know it's right. This means everything to me. It's a bold move, but I know that there is no other move I could think of making.

I play with the small object in my pocket. I move it back and forth in my hand nervously. I raise my fist several times to knock on the door only to put it back down out of fear. I finally make contact with the door and knock.

"Hannah?" I hear Bones's voice ask.

"No," I reply. "It's Pavel."

"Oh, Pavel. Come on in."

I open the door slowly and walk in. Bones looks at me rather confusedly.

"Um, Hannah is outside if that's who you are looking for," he tells me.

"No. I'm uh actually here to talk to you."

"Alright... well, sit down then I guess."

I sit down. I look from side to side nervously. I feel the small object in my pocket. I play with it in my hand once again.

"So, what exactly did you need to talk to me about?"

"Well... umm.. I um..."

"Kid, I'm not gonna kill you or anything... I promise."

"I wouldn't be so sure..."

I sigh. I pull the small object out of my pocket. I open the tiny box to reveal what's inside. His eyes widen, but this is followed by a smile.

"This explains why you were so nervous coming in here," he says.

"Yes sir," I reply.

Three days later...

We left Georgia today. I don't think I've ever seen anyone as excited as mamaw was when Bones and I told her. She nearly busted my eardrums when I told her and pop. She nearly jumped out of her skin. When we reached the airport, she pulled me aside and hugged me. She whispered to me that she would be very excited to see me in a few months.

We arrived back at Starfleet about an hour ago. Bones and I are currently meeting with Kirk, Sulu, Uhura, Mr. Scott and Spock. Kirk has asked me about a thousand times why we are here, and it's driving him crazy that we won't tell him.

"Are you gonna tell us what's going on?" Kirk asks.

"It might be easier if I show you," I tell him. I pull the small box out of my pocket and open it. Everyone's eyes go wide. Kirk looks the most surprised.

"So you're gonna..." he starts.

"Yes," I confirm.

"Oh my word!" he exclaims as he runs over to me, embraces me and lifts me off the ground.

"Help..." I say looking over at Bones.

"Ummm.. Jim," Bones starts. "How 'bout you don't crush him."

"Oh yeah... sorry... I just can't help it. I'm really excited about this... Bones, are you crying?"

I look over to see that there is, in fact, a tear running down the side of his face.

"Hey! How would you be? You'd be crying too."

"Surprised I'm not, honestly," Kirk replies.