Chapter 1

Hannah's POV

This is crazy. We are flying above a freaking volcano. These crazy alien folks are throwing spears at dad and Jim from what I'm hearing over coms. Spock is literally going to go into a volcano with a super-ice machine thing. This is the craziest thing I think we've done yet... and that's saying something.

The shuttle rocks as we're pushed around by wind. Our view isn't exactly spot on. There is fire, ash and smoke. This place looks like death. I'm honestly waiting on a freaking fireball to pop up, hit the shuttle, and we fall to our deaths.

Good Lordy... I do sound like dad...

We lower Spock down... then the shuttle takes a hit. We know we can't stay here. We are forced to pull Spock up before we end up falling to our deaths. However, before we can, the cable snaps. Luckily, Spock, as he puts it, is surprisingly alive. We have to leave him, fly away and go back to the Enterprise. When we are at our exit point, we jump from the shuttle into the water and swim down to the ship. We enter onto the bridge. I stand behind Pavel in front of the control panel. Dad and Jim arrive soon after us.

"Captain on the bridge," I hear my boyfriend announce.

Dad and Jim enter onto the bridge. Dad and I nod at each other as he comes and stands beside me. Jim stands beside him.

"Lieutenant," Jim says turning to Uhura. "Do we have an open channel to Mr. Spock?"

"The heat's frying his coms," Uhura replies. "But we still have contact."

"Spock?" Jim asks over the coms.

"I have activated the device, Captain," we hear from Spock over the coms. "When the countdown is complete, the reaction should render the volcano inert."

"Yeah," dad comments. "And that's gonna render him inert."

"Do we have transporters?" Jim asks.

"Negative, sir," Sulu reports.

"Not with zhese magnetic fields," Pavel adds.

"I need to beam Spock back to the ship. Tell me how to do it."

"Maybe if we had a direct line of sight. If we got closer," Pavel suggests

"Hold on, wee man," Scotty pipes in. "You're talking about an active volcano. Sir, if that thing erupts, I cannae guarantee we can withstand the heat."

"I don't know if we can maintain that kind of altitude," Sulu adds.

"Our shuttle was concealed by the ash cloud, but the Enterprise is too large. If utilized in a rescue effort, it would be revealed to the indigenous species."

"Spock, no one knows the rules better than you, but there have got to be an exception."

"None. Such action violates the Prime Directive."

"Shut up, Spock!" Dad interjects. "We're trying to save you, darn it!"

"Doctor, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one."

"Spock, we're talking about your life!" Jim yells.

"The rule cannot be broken," Spock states right before his signal breaks up.

"Spock! Try to get him back online."

"90 seconds to detonations," Pavel reports.

Jim turns to dad who's standing beside him.

"If Spock were here and I was there, what would he do?" he asks dad.

"He'd let you die..."

"Uncle Jim," I pipe up. He actually typically laughs when I call him this, but it's what he is. I consider him to be like an uncle as he considers me his niece. "I know the rules, and Commander Spock and I may have our differences, but you know we can't just leave him to die."

"I know, kid..."

He purses his lips. He then sighs and orders Sulu to get us to where we can beam Spock back on the ship.

"He'll be ticked," Sulu tells him.

"I don't care," Jim responds. "He'll be ticked and alive."

I move beside Uhura and put my hand on her shoulder. She nods at me as if to say, "thank you." I can't imagine how'd I feel if it were Pavel down there. We move towards the volcano. I look at all the... I guess they're people... as they stare up at us. We get into position as Jim and dad run to transport control.

"Bridge to Captain Kirk," Uhura says through coms.

"Yes, Lieutenant," Jim replies.

"Is Commander Spock on board, sir?"

"Safely and soundly."

"Please notify him that his device has successfully detonated."

I hear a bit of frustration in her voice as she says that last part. She takes her device out of her ear and slams it down. She then turns to me with her lips pursed.

"On the bright side," I start. "He's alive."

"He may not be for long," she says through gritted teeth.

"Ooo, poor Spock."

I watch the sides of her lips start to curl up as I say that. She then starts to laugh and shakes her head. We watch for a moment as dad and Jim come back onto the bridge.

"Speaking of boyfriends," she tells me pointing to Pavel. "Go on."

I don't argue with her. I walk over to Pavel. He stands up as I walk over to him. His eyes scan me for a moment.

"And what exactly are you staring at, mister?" I tease Pavel.

"Is it wrong zhat I zhink my girlfriend looks hot?"

I roll my eyes at him as I drape my arms around his neck. He wraps his arms around my waist.

"We're so pathetic," I say laughing.

"I'll take pazhetic if it means I'm with you."

"Oh my word," dad groans. "Are y'all done?"

"Oh c'mon Bones," Jim says clapping him on the shoulder. "They're adorable."

Dad just sighs and goes about his business. He looks back at Jim for a moment with narrowed eyes. He just smiles back to taunt him.