Chapter 15

Hannah's POV

After supper, we sit down in the living room to talk. We play the radio in the background. Mamaw asks Pavel a couple of questions about himself. Even though she had heard it before from me, she had to ask the story of how we met. I really thought she was going to cry when he reached the part about lunch.

"And even though there were so many other guys that she could've decided to eat with," he says. "She decided to stay wizh me... for reasons I still don't understand. It may seem like somezhing small but to me... it was a miracle."

"Hannah, baby," Mamaw tells me. "You need to keep him."

We both blush when she says this. Dad just smiles. Pop has no idea what's going on because he's been asleep for about half an hour. Mamaw finally taps him to wake him up.

We watch sweet Bubba, one of my grandparents' bloodhounds, walk over to Pavel. Mamaw watches him. He sniffs at him for a second and then leaps up beside him on the couch. He lays down next to Pavel as he pets him.

Shortly after, Sasha, my grandparents' other bloodhound, walks over to him as well. Mamaw watches her very closely. She sniffs him as Bubba did and walks back and forth in front of him as if she's studying him. She then stares at him as Mamaw stares at her. Eventually, Sasha sits down in front of him and lays her head in his lap.

"Ha Ha!" Mamaw exclaims as she claps her hands together. "I told y'all! I told ya! We got ourselves a keeper!" Dad, Pop and I all smile. Pavel looks utterly confused. "Every one of them dogs has told me if one of Leonard's girlfriends and one of Hannah's boyfriend is a good one. You've passed the test."

"Good grief," Dad says laughing. "I remember Daisy scouting my girlfriends."

"That there was a good dog. She tried to warn you about that woman."

"Huh?" Pavel asks.

"That devil woman," mamaw replies.

"My ex-wife," dad states.

"My mama," I add all at the same time.

Pavel looks at me with very confused eyes.

"It's a southern thing," I whisper to him.

He just nods his head as Mamaw talks excitedly. Eventually, when we've all worn ourselves out, we decide to take showers and go to bed.

—————————————
Credit:

Song: Chicken Fried by Zac Brown

Video: TheLifeLyrics