Chapter 2

Hannah's POV

Three days later...

Well, this week has been interesting. For starters, our little stunt on Nibiru made Pike... mildly upset. Jim lost the Enterprise. Pike is now captain with Jim as his first officer. I'm not sure where they're sending Spock. And among all that, there's been an attack on a Starfleet archive in London. Some psycho blew up part of the building. 42 people are dead.

I really needed an evening of not dealing with all of this, so Pavel and I decided to spend the evening just walking around the area near headquarters. It actually a really nice evening. Lights from building stream into the streets. Typically, I don't appreciate all of this, but after everything that's been going on this week, it's a very peaceful sight.

Pavel has had to go into a building to get something. I opted to stay outside. I'm sitting on a bench just trying to relax. I haven't really been able to since we came back from Nibiru. While I'm sitting there a man sits down beside me. He dark brown hair and blue eyes. His blue eyes aren't like those sweet blue eyes of Pavel. They hold something else behind them, something that makes me... nervous. He smiles at me. I shift uncomfortably.

"A beautiful night," he says in a deep voice. "Is it not?"

"It is," I respond rather plainly.

"What are you doing here... alone?" He asks. I once again shift uncomfortably.

"I'm not alone," I tell him. "I'm simply waiting on someone."

"Well, how fortunate for them."

He continues to stare at me. Part of me justs wants to get up and go inside with Pavel. I don't reply to him. I just stare at this strange man.

"Well," he says as he stands to leave. "Good evening."

With that, he walks away.

Ok... that was weird...

Soon, Pavel exits the building. I have never been so thankful to see my boyfriend in my life. He sees the concerned look on my face.

"What happened?" he asks.

"Nothing," I say. "Just some weird guy."

"Guy?" he snaps. "What did he do?"

"Nothing, I swear. It's fine. He was just weird."

He eyes me strangely. It's like he knows something else is wrong. I mean, that dude was weird no doubt. I would like to say I think he was harmless... but I'm just not sure.

We don't talk about him for the rest of the evening. We continue to walk around. The night is peaceful and still. Of course... the calm always comes before the storm.

We hear what sounds like an explosion. We look up to see rumble falling above us. We quickly jump out of its way. I see a ship that appears to be crashing.

I don't even think. I run straight into headquarters with Pavel following right behind me. A security guard moves to stop me.

"Medical officer!" I yell flashing my ID at him.

He steps out of my way as I bust through a door and up the stairs. We finally reach a floor filled with flames. It is the room where the meeting is being held with all of the high ranking officers of Starfleet. I run through the door.

The room looks a battlefield. There are flames, dead and injured. I begin to panic but know I have to pull myself together. I soon get to work, helping who I can until a full medical team gets here. I soon come across something that makes me go numb... Captain Pike. Jim and Spock are gathered around him. He is dead. I feel myself gasp.

Jim turns around, jumps up, runs to me and pulls me into a hug. I'm absolutely terrified by what's happening around me. Who wouldn't be? There is death and destruction. I once again pull myself together and Jim, Spock, Pavel and I continue to try to save who we can. Some will be fine, but for some... it's too late...

A medical team finally arrives. Two of them take Jim, Spock, Pavel and I to medbay. I'm still shaking when we reach the building. I feel Pavel wrap his arm around me and pull me to himself. Tears flow down my face and into his shoulder. They treat what wounds we have. I wasn't paying attention to the fact that I had actually been hit by some of the falling rubble.

When we are finally released, dad meets me at the bottom level of medbay. He nearly crushes me as he embraces me.

"Ow. Ow," I say. "Dad, ow. You're crushing me."

He loosens his grasp.

"I'm sorry," he apologizes. "They told me about the attack, and then they told me you were up there and... oh my word... You can't scare me like that, youngin'."

"I just happened to be there. We heard the explosion, and stuff started falling in us. I ran up there cause well, I'm pretty sure I was the only medical officer in the area so..."

"My brave, crazy girl. You leap before you look."

"Yep. I do."

"I think Jim's been a bad influence."

He laughs when he says this. Being dad and doctor, he has to give me a once over to determine that I'm not severely hurt even with me telling him that I'm fine and was just checked by another medical officer. Of course, even in the midst of my complaining, he makes it his mission to determine that I'm not going to die and whatnot.