Chapter 91

"Sir...before we begin, I think you should know this. The girl is pregnant." Arnold Benard said.

The Minister nodded, taking this into consideration. 

"Bring Cassandra in."

Cassie stepped in, ready. 

"Are you sure you can do this?" Arnold Benard asked, skeptical that this teenage girl could be of use in their investigation.

"Don't worry, sir. I know her like the back of my hand. I know what makes her tick...I can get her to talk, I promise."

She saw her former friends behind the glass, curled up in the bed, scared. 

"I'll take it from here, sir." She assured, and opened the door to the cell room. 

Abigail looked up, hearing footsteps.

At first, she was excited, relieved, and even happy to see Cassie's familiar face. However, as experience has taught her the hard way, Cassie was no longer on her side, and haven't been for a long time.   

She sat up, and couldn't help but feel a small a tinge in her heart. Perhaps Cassie forgave her. Perhaps she would...but Abigail was no longer the naive girl she once was. The years of lying and deceit taught her that putting her trust in the wrong people can become fatal. 

"Cassie." She said greeted, her voice weak from the trepidation. 

"Abi...I'm here to help," Cassie said, kneeling down by the bed so she could be at face-level with Abigail.  

"They're not after you. They only want Tom Riddle...tell them where he is, and they'll let you go."

"I don't know where he is." Abigail said, and that was the truth. 

"Okay...even if you don't know, at least give them some details. All the Minister wants is to investigate Anna's death. Tell them what you know, and you're given immunity."

"Cass...can you promise me that you're not lying to me right now?" Abigail asked quietly. "After what happened at St. Mungos...I'm scared to look at you." 

Cassie kept her composure. She reminded herself of why she was here.

"I-I'm sorry. I was angry, Abi. I was sick and angry. I know you won't accept my apology...but I'm trying to make it up to you, can't you see? I'm trying to redeem myself by getting you out of here safely."

"I'm sorry. But I don't believe a word that comes out of your mouth." Abigail said, her tone icier than it ever had been before.  

"There's no other option. You have to trust me to get out of here. You know they only want evidence..they want to know what happened. Tell them everything you know, the people involved, and you'll be pardoned. Think of your daughter, Abi. It's your safest and only option right now. Talk to them. Tell them everything you know about Tom Riddle. He left you, can't you see? It's pointless for you to protect him now. Save yourself. I'm here to help..." 

Abigail pondered the options but hit a dead end. 

She didn't want to give him up. As powerful as he was, he was still a boy...he stood no chance against the Ministry of magic. If she gave her testimony, the Minister could use the full prowess of his position to command the witch hunt on Tom Riddle.

She also knew that she was as guilty as any of them in this situation...Even though she didn't mean for any of this to happen, who would believe her? 

Talking was no longer an option. 

Even if Tom abandoned her, he was still the father of her daughter...