Chapter 24

A Note: I have made some modifications to the original scene the Harry Potter books to accommodate the storyline. 

...............................................

"Some where inside me there always will be the person I am tonight." 

-F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night  

...................................................... 

Abigail passes by the bathroom, hearing a soft sob from within. 

She peeks inside. 

"Who is this? You okay?" She asks, whispering lumos underneath her breathe. 

"Wh-Who is this? Are you coming to make-make fun of me again?" A voice sobbed.  

"No. Myrtle, It's me, Abigail. Are you alright? Do you need anything?" 

In truth, Abigail felt immensely sorry for the girl. Abigail understood what it felt like to be singled out, picked on, and made to feel worthless. 

"Abi-Abigail Wool? The first year?"

"Yeah. That's me. Do you want to talk about anything? Come out. I have a chocolate frog here. Do you want it?" Abigail called, digging through her book bag. 

Chocolate always made Abigail feel better.  

"Oh. Oh-okay." 

Myrtle opens the stall, revealing the tear-streaked, pimple dotted face of a slightly-overweight teenager.

She wiped her thick glasses on her robes, putting them back on and giving Abigail a small, timid smile.    

Abigail steps inside the stall, sitting on the floor. 

"You're going to be alright? They're just mean, you know. Don't take it to heart." She said, handing Myrtle the frog. 

"I dunno. It's always been like this, you know. I-I mean, I don't know why. Why?"  

"I don't know either. Why do people do bad things to other people anyways? My mama told me that people were cruel because they had something broken inside, like bad parts in a train engine. They need to fill that gap somehow."  Abigail said, her mind traveling back to Miranda's words.  In her young, naive mind, she failed to fathom the tremendous magnitude of malice that existed in this world. She failed to consider the capability of the human evil to destroy, to havoc.  

"Who is that?" Myrtle said, her voice now high from fear. 

Someone had entered the room. They were no longer alone. 

"Be quiet." Myrtle said to Abigail. Abigail nodded, pressing her lips together in fear. 

"Why are you in the girls bathroom? Hey! Why are you-" Myrtle said, her voice fading. 

Suddenly, Abigail felt a piercing coldness seep in to the room. The light on her wand dimmed. 

"Lumos." She said again, to no effect.   

A figure stood behind her, whispering in tongues. 

Myrtle shrieked, stepping back. 

"Do-don't turn around." Myrtle said, her voice trembling. 

Abigail drew in her breath, her body freezing.  

Myrtle opens the door, and falls to the ground, without a single sound.   

Abigail shrieks, shaking Myrtle's cold body. 

Abigail turned around, face to face with the Basilisk.