Chapter 18

She kissed him, knowing it was all just an act. 

But she loved it. 

Savored.

Cherished. 

every moment of him. 

......................................... 

"Mount your brooms." A voice yelled from the stands.

"I hate flying." Muttered Sam. 

" Why?" She asked. 

" I fell off a broom once, and straight onto my great aunt Tessie." Sam explained. 

"Ouch." 

" Yeah. For her. Poor lady had a broken hip and never spoke to me again. Mum fixed her hip, of course, but Tessies still not over it."  

"Steady." Yelled a boy, from the stands. 

"Who is that?" Abigail asked. 

" That's Gabriel Delacrioux." Cassie answered, wiggling her eyebrows. 

" The Gabriel Delacrioux?" Sam said, trying to get a closer look. 

" What are you guys talking about?" Abigail said, confused. 

"Oh, Abigail. he's only the most handsome boy at Hogwarts. Captain of the Gryffindor quiddich team, star chaser? Well, that Tom Riddle fella from Slytherin does give him a run for his money.....but still." Cassie said, a bit too excited. 

The mention of Tom Riddle struck a sore spot on Abigail's heart. 

But she tried to brush it aside. 

" I heard his father has estates all over the country." Liliana added in. 

" His dad's tight with the ministry. Loads of donations, I expect. That bloke is absolutely loaded." Sam said.  

"If I married him I would have a ring this-" Cassie made a circle the size of her thumb with her fingers. "No. Bigger. This big." 

"C'mon, girls. let's not get too ahead of ourselves here." Sam laughed. 

"Takeoff!" Gabriel Delacrioux yelled, his voice followed by the sharp sound of a whistle.   

Abigail kicked her feet off the field, scared. 

Some already knew what they were doing, already flying ahead.   

Abigail flailed around the air, nervous, her stomach dropping.  

Her broom went left and right, up and down.  

"Hey you!" Gabriel yelled from the ground, seeing her. "Relax!"  

"Calm down and take control of the broom." 

She took a deep breath. Another deep breathe. 

Her heart slowed, her stomach no longer feeling like was doing cartwheels. 

She let the wind take control, with her gently guiding the broom upwards. 

In front of her, clear skies, behind her, the endless black lake.  

Two hundred feet in the air, this was now peace. Tranquility. Bliss. 

She climbed higher than the others, springing above them, back and forth. 

Suddenly, her broom dipped. 

It made a strange cracking noise, suddenly dropping rapidly, sending her in a head-first dive onto the field.