Chapter 44

listen to that while you read :)

..........................................................

He let go, knowing that his kiss served its purpose. He wanted to go further with her...but tonight was not the night. 

He looked back to the glittering mansion, and saw another battle he had to fight tonight. 

He straightened his collar. 

"Goodnight, Abigail." He said, his lips very close to her ear when he said it. 

She stumbled a little, steadying herself against the tree. She let him go, not knowing how to feel at all. 

He was always her everything. Then. Now. 

From the moment she saw him in her fever dream at the orphanage, he had her in the palm of his hand.  

She watched his figure diminishing in the distance, approaching the steps of the golden palace. He smiled his charming smile, and held up a champagne glass. Although he was just a penniless orphan, he blended so well into this crowd. He hid everything behind the satin suit and brilliant smile. 

He always made himself the center of attention.  He commanded all eyes, all hearts, always. 

She doesn't know how he does it. 

Somehow, she knew that he belonged here. 

He belonged in this world. He was destined to be a leader. Destined to rise above the ashes of his birth, destined for a certain kind of unparalleled greatness. 

One day, he would have the world fall at his feet. And she would be content to be the girl who first loved him, a broken boy with shining eyes and big dreams on the steps of Wool's orphanage.  

................................................ 

Marvolo Delacrioux sipped his drink as he dove back to the memories of sixteen years ago. He had no regrets. If the child had been born...the problems would be endless. Anna was a weak woman who constantly went to cry to her powerful family for help. Marvolo had never been a particularly faithful husband. However, Molly was different. She was a stubborn girl who did not understand when to stop. She went too far, and he had to get rid of her. 

Marvolo gazes at the boy, who was easily mingling with the elite, who had a natural, innate and powerful charm about him.    

The resemblance was there.  

Marvolo remembers the prophecy.  

he had gone to a seer many years ago, to whom he paid a fortune. 

Your heir, Delacrioux, shall cover the sky one day with eternal darkness. The son will rise, and doom shall fall.  I see greatness in the house of Delacrioux. Yes. Eternal glory. Eternal darkness.  I see blood on the steps of this house!.....         

Was it possible.....? 

Gabriel was Marvel's heir, no doubt, but Marvolo never saw this in the boy. Gabriel was a bright, athletic boy. Very popular, very friendly, but he was so different from his father. Gabriel lacked the ambition and sophistication Marvolo had always possessed. Gabriel was a sheltered boy, never having a single worry in his life. He never had to fight for anything; all was handed to him on a silver platter since birth. He became soft. Kind-hearted. Naive. 

He would never fulfill the prophecy, Marvolo knew. And he was relieved. The prophecy, however tempting, always seemed very ominous to him. 

He called one of his associates over. He must have this Tom Riddle investigated throughly at once.  

"Follow him back. Find me everything...but beware. Past, present. Do not let him know of us. Do so quietly" He instructed. 

....................................................... 

Abigail came back inside. She wanted to give Miranda a chance. She wanted to be reunited with her mother. 

Miranda ignored her. She had to turn a blind cheek, so Mason Erdem would not grow suspicious. 

Abigail felt a little heartbroken, but the kiss filled her up once again. Sh felt giddy even. 

Gabriel waited for her. 

"You..okay?" She asked, seeing the hurt in his face. Gabriel tried to hide it, but he was never so good at masking his emotions. 

He refused to talk, pouting. 

"Please, Gabe...I'm really sorry." She apologized. "But I needed to talk to him." 

"Oh really? From what I saw, there wasn't much talking going on there."  

"Gabe....how can I explain...." 

"Don't, Abigail. Save it."  

"Please...." 

"What' so special about him?" 

"Everything." She whispered, very softly. But Gabriel heard it clear enough. Gabriel shook his head. Maybe he was too late. They had known each other since they were children....but....To Gabriel, Abigail was so special. She was different. 

Cliche,yes. But she was different from the other girls he had met in the past. He had crushes, of course. All boys did in their youth. But nothing so intense and so protective like this. 

The world was full of liars, cheats, monsters...but she was above all the common, corrupt dust of it all. She was an angel to him.    

But she did not love him. He wanted her so desperately, but he understood that her heart belonged elsewhere.  

Gabriel cannot read minds, but he senses something uncanny about Tom Riddle. The Slytherin boy was...too perfect. Too charming. Too smooth, like the scales of a poisonous serpent. Tom Riddle was always the root of Abigail's pains, tears, and nightmares. 

Gabriel wanted to protect her from herself. 

Although he did not know it, he understood that Abigail was going down a steep, dangerous path. He turned to her in the light, and was still so enchanted by the way her cupids bow arched ever so slightly.

 The way that her hazel eyes were truth and tragedy all at once.  

 He wanted to tell her that he loved her. 

He wanted to tell her that he would do anything. Anything, from this point on, to win her away from Tom Riddle. 

Gabriel gazed at Tom Riddle, who was conversing across the room. Their eyes met, and they both understood one thing.  

The war had begun. Wether for one reason or another....the war had begun, and there will be blood.  

......................... 

How ironic it was, the hands of fate. 

How the abandoned, orphaned daughter of a prostitute would one day bring down the sacred, golden house of Delacrioux, forever dividing it.  

And shattering it.