Chapter Three

Chapter three

The next morning I found myself yet again making my way through the streets of New York, heading in the direction of my new workplace. It was warmer outside today which was something I was grateful for. That however didn’t stop that slap-on-the-face feeling I got when I entered wal-mart, it was quite comical to watch my face scrunch in dismay, or at least that’s what the people who were laughing thought.

I yet again found myself standing before that damned door that never failed to grab my attention, with its rusted exterior and its metallic glory. I sighed in aggravation and stomped my way towards the dreaded moment. The moment I saw Ethan Woods again, god that man was so full of mystery, he was like a murder case that refused to be solved.

"Come in Cassandra" His tone was one of amusement and clarity. It was beyond me how he knew it was me who knocked on his closed doors.

Without a reply I made my way, yet again, to that god forsaken chair only to find out that he had moved it. It was no longer in front of his desk but it now joined other chairs and couches in a seating area. This only meant that I had to sit face to face with that well tamed beast.

"Cassandra. So nice to see you again" He made his way and sat in the chair right across from mine in a way to intimidate me, but I was an 11 year old why would he see me as such a threat?

With a mere nod of my head, I made it clear that I had no words in reply to his sinister welcoming.

"Well, here is your uniform; you will start by mopping the floors. Reorganizing the shelves comes after that. Your shift ends when you have completed both tasks and you have a lunch break at which I will provide you with food. Understood?" His voice left no room for questioning as he stood up and handed me my navy, ugly might I add, uniform.

Again, nodding my head, I took the uniform from his hands making sure to never hesitate. Hesitation meant weakness and I cannot afford to be weak. I got dressed in the ladies bathroom and tied my hair up into a ponytail, Lillian had taught me how to tame the bird nest I had for hair and had given me some rubber bands claiming they were called hair ties. I got the hang of it pretty quickly, so she taught me a few braids and styles for when I had free time, my hair flowed below my backside hence I never had a proper hair cut so it was exceptionally long.

After getting the necessary supplies, I began my task of cleaning the floors until not a speck of dust could be seen. It wasn’t very hard hence I always helped Bethany clean around the house, it was her way of keeping an eye on me. But hey she had to fall asleep sometime right?

It took me a few hours, but I was done in record time. I was just about to inform Mr. Woods of the completed task, but he already beat me to it.

"Nicely done little one." I was startled by his sudden appearance but didn’t show it.   

He was giving me a strange look, his eyes were studying my face carefully as if my life were a movie and was playing in my eyes. I yet again gave him a nod and waited for him to tell me what to do next.

"Well now you can have your lunch break, but then you have to raid the shelves for any misplaced items and if anything is missing you go to the supply room and get it." In his hand was a plastic box which I hadn’t seen up until now, he pushed it towards me signaling me to take it.

I took it from him; it was warm, which made my stomach rumble. It was my lunch. I made my way outside with my food clutched tightly in hand and sat on a bench near the entrance of the supermarket and began to dig in.

"So we meet again, Sandra." My head shot up at the use of that nickname.

There before me stood Alexander Sharp; in all his glory.