Chapter Eight.

WARNING. Violence throughout.

Chapter Eight.

Waking up with no sort of excitement for the day to come, was something I was too accustomed to. So without a bother, I just got up from bed and got ready for an uneventful day.

"Morning Cassandra!" Stacey said in her usual cheerful tone.

I just took a second to look at Stacey. Underneath her eyes lay evidence of sleepless nights, her hair slick and tied back into a ponytail without a hair out of place. Her eyes held certain emptiness; it was hard not to see how dull they were compared to her façade.

"How do you do it?" I said bluntly without breaking eye contact with her.

She was astonished by my sudden choice of question, and something told me she knew exactly what I was talking about.

"Life's not fair Cassandra, you had to learn that at such a young age but not everything is as easily repaired as it seems" Her eyes told me she was truthful and I don't doubt that she it.

"Some things are worth suffering for though, Ms Stacey. If everyone gave up on repairing or searching for what was lost or broken, we would be as good as machines."

As if it was possible, she looked even more astonished. I didn't say anything worth her amazement but I think she just couldn't believe that someone could see right through her.

"It's not that easy Cassandra." She was getting desperate trying to convince herself that she did what was right for her son.

"I never said it was, I just said it was worth it, and I don't doubt that one day you'll be with your son again." I spoke with a tone that left no questions. I don't know where I was going with this, but I just wanted to hold onto one of the last living parts of me, my sympathy.

Stacey looked at me with tears in her eyes, even though she never allowed them to touch her face. I could still tell that she appreciated it, even if she never gave me a reply.

I gave her one last honest smile and made my way to the counter where my breakfast was, and for some reason my gut told me that this would be the last time id smile like that again.

It was 10 in the morning when I finished studying. My brain felt alive with all the new ways I could try to beat Nathaniel in the ring. I didn't know where he and Ethan were so I just made my way to the gym to warm up.

Much to my surprise, the gym was empty. I thought maybe Nathaniel would be here but no, it was completely empty.

The gloves engulfed my small hands making them immune, I made my way to the punching bag and stared at it for a moment.

My heart didn't race with excitement, my blood never rushed and my adrenaline never gave me a thrill. All that was on my mind was how I was going to beat Nathaniel, to the point where I forgot to relieve myself from my own pain.

The time passed by like a bolt of lightning, I didn't notice Nathaniel stepping into the room until I heard the faint sound of clapping coming from behind me.

"Well done Cassandra, I see that you've been working hard." He had that damned smirk on his face again.

I stared at him with a blank expression for a few moments, the plan I formed in my head finally started to take action.

"Oh I've been practicing alright." I told him with a smirk matching his.

"Have you now?" his smirk widened at the smell of a challenge.

"Me, you, in that ring right now. I win you tell me all about my parents and who Christina woods is, you win then you don't." I said with a challenging smirk