Chapter 19

Charlie continued to glare at Harry and me as we climbed out of the pool. We grabbed our towels and dried off, and I found myself wishing I could wipe away my humiliation as easily as the water.

Charlie finally found his voice again and yelled at Harry, "Are you crazy?" And then he turned to me and yelled, "And you! You should be ashamed of yourself!"

I blinked in shock as his words hit me.

Harry shouted back at his brother, "You're one to talk! Bringing your girlfriend back to our house and engaging in all-night sex-fests so that I can't even sleep in my own bed!"

"Well at least she's my age!" Charlie retorted. "Lise is like twenty years older than you!"

"Ten, Charlie! She's ten years older than me! And what does that have to do with anything?" Harry seethed.

"Has it occurred to you that maybe she's lonely and she just wanted to get some? Or maybe she's after the money!" Charlie sneered.

I stifled a sob when he said that, already upset beyond words.

Harry grabbed me and pulled me into his chest, saying to Charlie, "Don't you dare talk about her that way! I'm in love with her!"

At that, Charlie just choked on his words and stomped away.

I broke down and cried in Harry's arms.

He held me, stroking my hair and soothing me with his warmth. "I'm so sorry about that. I can't believe he said those things, but I am so, so sorry."

"It's all right, Harry," I said, sniffling.

"No, it's not."

"You're right," I agreed. "It wasn't right for him to say any of that, but this is why I never wanted you to know how I felt. This can't happen, Harry. Everyone we know will react just like Charlie did, and he's right – I am too old for you."

"Please, Lise, please don't say that. You're not too old for me. I would do anything to be with you."

I couldn't believe my ears. I thought Harry had a crush on me. I had no idea he had thought about us so seriously.

"Harry," I said, my voice trembling. "How? You're still in high school, and I'm a divorcee with three little girls. We have nothing in common."

"Don't say that!" he said harshly. "If we have nothing in common, then why can't we stay away from each other? Why do we laugh every time we're together? Why do I want to be with you all the time? Why do I feel like your girls are my own family? Why do I feel like you were made for me? So what if you're ten years older than me? I love you, Lise!" Then he dropped his voice to a whisper. "I love you."

"Eleven," I whispered.

"What?"

"I'm eleven years older than you," I corrected him.

"So what? Eleven years is nothing. When we're old and gray, it will hardly matter."

"Old and gray?" I squeaked.

"Yes, old and gray," he said, grabbing my hands and pulling them up to his heart. "I am so in love with you. I want to be with you forever, Lise."

"I respect you Harry, and I believe what you're saying, but how can you possibly know what you want for the rest of your life?" I said, becoming agitated.

"I just know," he soothed.

I was so overwhelmed by the turmoil in my heart. I loved Harry so much, but I couldn't tell him. I had to try to keep my feelings at bay so that I could try to make some sense of the whole situation.