Period Hacks/Remedies 🍒

A few tips and tricks to get you through your visit with Aunt Flo.

1. Invest In A Hot Water Bottle

You'd be surprised at how much comfort this thing will bring you. Applying heat to your abdomen will get the blood flowing and relieve cramps; scientists even say that it has the same effect as painkillers for up to an hour. Researchers found that using a hot water bottle while relaxing actually blocks the pain messages that are being rapidly sent to your brain.

2. Eat Dark Chocolate

You're losing heaps of magnesium on your period, but a 70 percent cacao treat can help you regain that nutrient as it slips out of the body. Steer clear of the candy bars that are at the checkout counter, though, as they're packed with caffeine and unnecessary sugar. Instead, reach for a bar that is made from natural ingredients, or bake something yummy at home using cacao.

3. Have Multiple Orgasms

Getting down and dirty can relieve migraines, cluster headaches, and period pain. The uterus contracts during an orgasm, and afterwards, blood flow increases and your brain is hit with natural chemicals that automatically relieve pain. Study show that women who masturbate during their periods experience fewer cramps, as well as a decrease in irritability and crankiness.

4. Drink More Water

Put as much H2O into your system as you can get your hands on. It's easy to get really dehydrated when you're losing that much fluid, and chugging water will help ease the most common symptoms, such as bloating and fatigue. Resist the urge to purchase the sugary energy drinks you see in the vending machines, as they will only make you feel worse. Staying hydrated will also aid with digestion, so you can process your meals better and faster.

5. Track Your Cycle

There are so many apps and programs out there these days that can assist you in knowing your own cycle, and you'd be surprised at how helpful they can be. The app P.Tracker changed my life. I used to be ruled by my mood swings, confused at why I suddenly felt like throwing shit at the wall — until I started using the monthly chart, which reminded me when my period was coming, and helped me remember that I'm allowed to take some downtime.

6. Exercise

No one is asking you to run a marathon here, but a light jog/walk and yoga are extremely beneficial while on your period. Working out increases circulation of blood and endorphins, which will boost your mood, relieve cramps and just make you feel good...which is SO key when you're menstruating.

7. Sleep

Sleeping and allowing your body to rest is sooo important while on your period. Try to get the recommended 8 hours of sleep. Lack of sleep can lead to anxiety and depression and make PMS symptoms way worse.

8. Keep spare panties in a desk drawer at work or in a pouch in your backpack.

Leaking blood onto your undies is an inevitability. It's going to happen, you know it's going to happen, so why not prepare and keep a few pairs of good panties (not bad ones you'll dread having to use) in your backpack or desk for when the blood flood cometh?

9. Take Vitamin E

Study show that women who took vitamin E supplements twice a day during their periods for four consecutive months reported a lower pain intensity than they had experienced previously. Go to your nearest health foods shop and snag a bottle before your next cycle comes along.

10. Resist Caffeine

Caffeine is known to make your PMS symptoms even worse, and it's linked to elevating the levels of estrogen in the body. If you're an addict and you get a splitting headache if you completely skip out on that magical morning brew, have a little bit — maybe half a cup — and then switch to chai tea for the rest of the day.

11. Stay Away From Waxing

Everything down there is more sensitive than usual when you're menstruating, so why submit yourself to extra pain? If your period happens to come the week — or even the day — of your next bikini wax appointment, call in and ask your esthetician to postpone it. She'll definitely understand. Besides, her job will be easier without a tampon string to awkwardly work around.

12. Eat Less Salt

Getting cozy with the salt shaker could make you retain too much water, which leads to uncomfortable bloating. Make an effort to eat less salty foods; say no to those crispy french fries and instead buy raw, unsalted almonds. Finally, when you're experimenting in the kitchen, use less sodium than a recipe calls for.