Ch. 18 What a Waste

I APOLOGIZE FOR MY 8 MILLION YEAR ABSENCE. I just started my first year at high school! Im nice andfresh now! And soccer has become hectic!

Ch. 18

What a Waste

Justin Bieber

I let out a sigh of content, smacking my lips in satisfaction as I slammed the shot glass onto the table, remnants of the tequila I’d just downed visible in droplets on the bottom. “This stuff,” I mumbled, holding the shot glass up and giving it a little wiggle. “is fuckin’ fantastic.”

“Only the best for Wes,” Wes Laker offered conceitedly, shrugging his shoulders like the douchebag he is and grinning.

God, he’s a tool.

If it weren’t for the fact that he was the only relatively bearable person at Stratford  Secondary right now that was throwing a party, I wouldn’t be caught dead anywhere near him.

All of that ego mixed with how fucking stupid he is combine to make him an exceedingly annoying person to be around.

Especially at parties when I’m trying to get drunk off my ass.

But I’ll make do with what’s available.

If I could, I would’ve flown to Toronto or LA - called up one of my celebrity buddies like Drake or Chris Brown and declared we needed a bros’ night at the clubs - the more alcohol, the better.

It was bad, I know.

Drinking away my problems like this, I mean.

In fact, it was precisely what I’d grown accustomed to doing for so many years before...well, before Mandy had come into my life.

I cringed, closing my eyes tightly and curling my hands into fists at my sides.

Any thought of her and the weight of anger that lay at the bottom of my stomach began bubbling, threatening to explode at any moment.

Because any thought of her came with an image of him - that tool Logan Hayward that had not only full-on French kissed Mandy in front of the entire goddamn school, but seemed to have been engaging her in something more than just tutoring sessions every day during school.

Or so it seemed.

I know I was being a bit irrational by running away like I had without even giving Mandy a full chance to explain, but I couldn’t help it.

After all the shit I’d been shoved through and forced to put up with this semester - after all of the complicated, twisted, demented, tangled mess of insanity that was currently weighing on my shoulders, I was finding it pretty damn difficult to think even relatively normal anymore.

And quite frankly, I just didn’t even know what to believe.

I was convinced Aubrey was making all of the shit about me fathering her child up, but I’d turned out to be completely wrong about that.

Who said I couldn’t be wrong about trusting Mandy too?

Shaking my head, I fumbled my fingers around the alcohol-laden table in front of me, searching for the shapely glass bottle of Jack Daniels I’d been eyeing earlier. “S’fucking messed up.” I mumbled, grasping the bottle in my fingers and pulling it towards me. “I’m a goddamn melodramatic fool.”

“Reaching for the Jack, I see?” Wes commented, cracking open his own can of beer. “Sure you don’t want some Natty Light first?” He held the can up towards me, grinning.

I gave him a look of disgust. “When there’s actually quality alcohol here?” I spat, emptying some of the whiskey into a plastic cup filled three-quarters of the way with something orange. “Hell no.”