Westwood Road (I)

Ryleigh
It drug on for awhile. My mother and her lawyer were dead determined to try to pin things on my family to try to get me back. My side was oddly quiet. I hoped whatever plan they had worked. I zoned out after awhile. "We'll hold a brief intermission while we discuss the final terms of this case. Just a reminder that whatever is decided today will be final and there will be no further trials,"the judge said and hit her gavel. I saw my family gather down below. I wanted to join them but I couldn't. If nothing else, my biological father is here now. He can claim me instead if I'm put into state care.

The intermission was brief. I caught Pete pointing up at me and talking to everyone else but they haven't spotted me. I knew I wasn't supposed to be here but screw that bullshit. "Court in session,"the judge said and everyone took their seats. "We've reviewed this case time and time again. After the incidents that occurred last time and the bad press coming on us, we've decided that the best decision is to place the child back into Mr. and Mrs. Urie's care. Court adjourned!"she said. As soon as I heard I was going back into their care, I took off running. "No! You're wrong! She belongs with me!"my mother screamed and begged. She was clearly unhappy with the results.

I was down the stairs and throwing the court room doors open in a heartbeat. I couldn't breathe and my chest still felt strange. "Dad!"I yelled. He turned to face me and I ran to jump into his arms. He hugged me tightly. When he put me down, I hugged Mom and everyone else. "Dad, I had a question for you. You don't have to say yes but I've been thinking this over,"I said. He raised an eyebrow. "Can we change my name to Ryleigh Dun Urie?"I asked. "I don't see why not. I love it,"he said with a prideful smile on his face. When they handed paperwork over to him, he started to change my name.

My biological mother took this as a chance to approach me. "You know damn well what's coming for you. Don't say I didn't try to help you and give you an easy way out,"she spat. Pete came up behind me and squeezed my arm. "Watch it! That sounded an awful lot like a threat!"Pete said. She spun on her heal and walked out. Suddenly, there was a sharp pain in my chest. I was worried I was having a heart attack or dying. I tried to suck in air but I couldn't. It came in gasps but it was like drowning. "Ryleigh? Ryleigh? Ryleigh!"Pete asked, growing more frantic with each one. He was sounding faint, though. My vision blurred and I felt my body hit something hard, probably the floor. Then there was nothing.

Brendon
Pete had told me she was upstairs watching the trial. I wished she had followed the rules. I wasn't sure I wanted her here watching in case things went south. It was bittersweet to see her after we won. I was concerned for her mother's behavior. I wasn't quite sure what was happening but it sounded threatening. I wanted to ask Ryleigh but she decided she wanted to change her name.

The next thing I knew, Pete was yelling her name and she was passed out on the floor. "CALL AN AMBULANCE!"I screamed. "Oh, Ryleigh, honey you gotta stay with me,"I begged. They took her back immediately. We were left to comfort each other in the waiting room.

It took hours. The doctor didn't come out until two in the morning. We tried to keep our conversation light. I was so worried. We got her back and this happened. "Urie?"the nurse asked. We all stood up and a doctor approached us. "Hello, I'm Dr. Jay Redmond. We ran many tests to find out why Ryleigh passed out. Has she eaten much in the last few days or weeks? She seemed really skinny and her blood pressure was really low,"the doctor said. "I--I don't know. She's been in state care the last three weeks,"I said, my hand in Sarah's.

"Alright then. The good news is that she'll be just fine. Her heart was a little weak but she's young. We'll put her on some meds to get things sorted. She most likely bounce back no problem,"he said. I hugged Sarah. A nurse led us down the hall. All Time Low had to fly out four hours ago. Her dad and half siblings were with us along with Tyler, Pete, and Gerard. It would be crowded in the room undoubtedly but we would make it work. They'll most likely discharge her with some meds in a few hours according to the doctor.

She was awake when we went in. I immediately went to her side and pulled her into a hug. I heard a camera click and knew my wife must've just snapped a photo of us. I'm pretty sure Ryleigh was crying, considering how damp my shoulder felt. She was holding me so tightly. "Thanks for being here,"she whispered. "We'll always be here. We aren't going anywhere,"I promised her.
Our phones buzzed and I pulled mine out to check it.
There was the photo Sarah just took on Instagram.

The caption read: "Things aren't always easy but we're so very grateful to have you in our lives. I don't know where we would be without you but we will always be there, even for the hard moments. @brendonurie @ryleighrowanurie"

"I guess I should change my name now since it's not Ryleigh Rowan anymore,"I said. I just hugged her again. "Wait, what? Why isn't your name Ryleigh Rowan?"Tyler asked, confused along with everyone else in the room. "Ryleigh asked to change her name and I let her,"I said. "So what's your new name?"Tyler asked. "Ryleigh Dun Urie,"she answered proudly with a smile on her face. They all broke into smiles and Josh hugged her tightly before her dad, sisters, and other brother joined in on the group hug. We shared many stories, laughed many laughs, and cried many tears. Somehow, we always found a way back to each other.