Medicine

Ryleigh
I woke the next morning and slowly made my way downstairs. Everything was still a disaster and all of our curtains were drawn tightly closed. I heard low talking from the kitchen and huddled outside of the door. "We still have a chance to turn this around. Yesterday's stunt didn't help, though,"a woman's voice said. "You think I don't know that? I have to turn this around. I have to fix this. She's my fucking daughter,"Dad said angrily. "You know the trial date got moved up? We have three days to get our shit together instead of three weeks and then the appeal,"the woman said.

I entered and they got oddly quiet. "Hey, Ryleigh, how're you feeling?"he asked. "Fine,"I said as I pulled a tea out of the fridge and buttered a piece of toast. I hadn't seen this woman before. "Well, this is Missy Kepler. She's our attorney and the best damn shot we have at keeping you here where you belong,"Dad said. The woman stuck her hand out and I timidly shook it.

"When you're ready, I have some questions for you,"she said. I nodded and continued with my breakfast. When I was done, she started in with her questions. "Can you tell me what your childhood was like?"she asked. I swallowed hard and looked to Dad. Even after all this years, it still bothered me more than I ever dared to admit.

I realized I had no choice if I wanted to stay here. I closed my eyes and relived every horrifying moment. I told her about the abuse where the man my mother was with would hit, kick, punch, and throw things at us. I told her about how I was raped. I told her everything.

I opened my eyes. I couldn't stand the look I was getting from her. Dad just looked concerned. As she went to say something else, I stood up and shoved my chair away from the table before I ran upstairs. I slammed my door shut, locked it and then slid down to lean against it as the tears fell down my face. I buried my face in my knees and sobbed. Years of hurt and pain came pouring out of me. I heard Dad knocking and begging to come in but I couldn't. I knew if he found the key, he could easily enter but I needed time alone right now. I shoved my earbuds in and eventually fell asleep in front of my door.

Time Skip: 3 days

Those three days passed quickly. Our lawyer, Missy Kepler, was over every day to work with Mom and Dad on our case. It was as strong as we could get it. Now, we just had to hope that this would work out for the best. I took my time getting dressed. I wished this wasn't real. I hadn't slept. After having to relive all of that the other day, nightmares haunted every moment I closed my eyes.

I laced up my black converse to go with the black kneelength dress I was wearing. My stomach was tight with anxiety. Everyone was downstairs. Josh tried to hand me a slice of toast. I picked at it and only took a bite before I was done. He hugged me and assured me everything would be okay. I didn't know if my father was coming. Ohio was a stretch from here. If this went south, I hoped that they would take me in. "The flight was pushed back due to weather. They won't get here till tomorrow at the earliest,"Josh said. I nodded and moved on to hugging everyone else. It was so somber.

It shocked the shit out of me when my eyes landed on a tall person. "Dallon!"I yelled and ran to hug him. He embraced me tightly. "What are you doing here? I thought you weren't coming,"I asked. "I wouldn't miss it. I'm here to support you. After all, you always said if you did something dumb that I would be there. I guess it's time to prove that right,"he said. I just hugged him again. A man with blue hair approached him. I pulled back and glanced at Dallon.

"Ryleigh, this is my band member Ryan Seaman,"He introduced. "So great to meet you,"he said and shook my hand. I noticed his voice was really low. "I wish it was under better circumstances,"I said. "Eh, gotta take what you can get,"he said. I nodded. "Ryan is playing drums for our new group. He also plays bass,"Dallon said. I nodded.

Time had passed by though and we had to leave in order to make it on time. My biological mother was entering the courthouse when we pulled up. I climbed out and she turned around to shoot a smirk at our group. I just clung to Mom and Dad. Several people squeezed my shoulders as we made our way to the front where Missy Kepler was waiting.

We took a seat and court was called into order. I glanced back at our family. I was even more shocked when I saw the members of All Time Low coming in through the door in the back. They sat somewhere towards the middle. I caught a glance of Zack and my breath caught in my throat. He still made my heart skip a beat.

I could barely focus as the trial went through. I was called up to the stand and I was to go under oath. Dad squeezed my hand and Mom sent me a reassuring smile as I made my way up. Missy began to go over what we talked about yesterday. Every single detail. I suddenly had a very strong urge to cut but I knew I had to fight against it.

I answered honeslty when I was spoken to. Then it was turn for my biological mother's lawyer to ask questions. "Is it true that under Mr. Urie's care you almost died?"she asked. I hesitated, I couldn't lie under oath. "Yes but I don't see how this is relevant. It wasn't his fault,"I said. "Care to explain what happened?"her lawyer asked. "We were on tour and this storm blew in. It caused our bus to roll, I was thrown. Nobody could've stopped that,"I said. They continued to throw my own mistakes in my face. We were so fucked.