Human (I)

Brendon
I don't know how long I sat there. I remember them trying to get me to go get some food but I was rooted in place. Gerard, Frank, and Mikey arrived awhile ago. All we could do was wait. I think they called back to tell everyone to hold off a bit until we knew more about what was going on. I don't know if anyone managed to get ahold of Zack. They were all crowded around again. Olivia had been given orders to take us upstairs to an OR waiting room which was bigger and emptier since our group was so large.

"Urie?"Olivia called. She must have been assigned to our case. I stood and approached her. The others stood curiously behind me but farther away. "Your wife, Sarah, is out of surgery now. She's still kind of groggy but I can take you to see her. We fixed the tear in her ACL but it's going to take time to heal. There doesn't seem to be nerve or spinal damage. She'll be just fine,"she informed me with a gentle hand on my arm. She must have seen the question in my eyes.

"There's nothing more on Ryleigh, yet. I'm sorry. I'll let you know as soon as I know anything,"she said and then I was on my way down the hallway to my wife's room. She was alone, her eyes closed. "Sarah?"I asked softly, barely inside the doorway. Her eyes fluttered open. "Bren?"she asked sleepily. "I'm here,"I said and moved closer. She put a hand to my cheek. "Sing to me?"she asked sleepily. I nodded with tears in my eyes. I started to sing End Of All Things. It was a new one that Dallon and I were working on. It was for her. Her eyes drifted closed. I'd come back when she was more awake. I kissed her forehead. "Get some rest,"I whispered.

I wandered aimlessly after I left her room. Eventually, I ended up back in the waiting room. Zack came running in. "Where is she?"he asked. I could see the tears trailing down his cheeks. I hugged him. "Still in surgery,"I whispered and we stood there, hugging, for forever. "Do you know how she is?"he whispered. I shook my head no. "Her injuries were extensive. That's all I've been told,"I whispered back and he released me from our hug. The others embraced him. The rest of All Time Low came running up, winded. "Zack, dude, you disappeared. Parking was crazy,"Jack said between breaths.

I was feeling tired but I was not going to let sleep take me. It was hours later and there was still no news. Mike had called over to a hotel within walking distance and booked us some rooms. I was grateful. Zack Hall had left with Dan and Mike hours ago. They wanted to get some rest. After all, they'd had as long a night as me. I promised to call them if there was any change or news. I had sat for awhile but now I was back to pacing. Glancing at the clock on the wall. I could hear it ticking, it was driving me insane. It was almost ten in the morning. We've been here for almost six hours and I still don't know anything more.

Zack hasn't left. The guys tried to get him to go get breakfast but he wouldn't. I couldn't blame the guy. After all, I didn't eat either. I just wasn't hungry. "Brendon, chill out,"Pete ordered and pressed a cup of coffee into my hands. I took a seat next to Zack. His knee hadn't stopped bouncing up and down since he sat down. We just sat in silence. I caught a glimpse of Olivia and a doctor coming down a hallway close to us. I stood up quickly, Zack following suit.

"Urie?"the doctor called out, not knowing who we were. Zack and I walked closer. "Hello, I'm Dr. Robert Anderson. I'm Ryleigh's assigned doctor,"the doctor said and offered his hand to me. I shook it. "Brendon Urie,"I said. "Zack Merrick, sir,"Zack said and shook his hand. "We aren't currently sure the extent of her brain damage, if there was any. She had definitely hit it very hard. We had to try to lessen the pressure. She fractured some ribs and we aren't sure about the extent of her nerve damage in her back. She may never walk again. A broken collarbone. She also broke her wrist in the landing. We put some pins in, it should heal just fine,"he informed us. I couldn't speak.

"H--how is she now?"Zack asked after his voice broke at the beginning. I think we both were afraid to know the answer. "She's in a medically induced coma. We decided that was our best course of action while her body heals so the stress doesn't slow it down,"Dr. Anderson said. "When can she go home?"I finally spoke up. "Preferably when she wakes up and definitely once she's stable,"Dr. Anderson said. "Can we see her?"Zack asked. The doctor nodded. "If you'll excuse me,"he said as his pager went off and he went running in a new direction. "I'll take you then fill the others in if you'd like,"Olivia said with a downcast gaze.

She led us down the hallway. Ryleigh's room was across from Sarah's. Zack went in first. Olivia grabbed my arm to hold me back. "Please know that I'm so sorry,"she said. "Not your fault,"I croaked and turned to enter as she went back to the waiting room that our family and friends claimed. Zack was already sitting at her side and holding her hand, the one with the unbroken wrist. I was about to start sobbing again. Tubes were running out all over her body. Her wrist in a cast, her shoulder and collarbone area wrapped , a tube in her mouth. Her head was covered with a bandage that sported fresh blood. I've never seen something so broken and know I couldn't fix it. I knew I failed her somehow and that hurt so much worse than any pain I'd felt all day. I failed to protect her and I'd failed as a father.

I failed.