"Take a life"

Read AN at the end please

~~~~~

She could tell that it was bothering him more than he would let on. In fact, he hadn't been the same since they returned. Their battle with Lilly and the delta had gotten people killed on both sides and Clementine had spent most of her time grieving over the loss of James. But due of her lack of interest in anything else, she had failed the notice the changes within one of her male companions, until it became almost impossible to miss.

There was no more jokes, no more piano and overall no more Louis. A part of him had truly been stolen, a part of him that he wouldn't ever get back. What had happened had damaged him, but it was hard to comfort him when he would dismiss everyone's concerns with the wave of a hand.

Clementine knew how he was feeling, for she had been in the exact same position as an eight year old. Taking another's life for the first time is truly traumatising, Clem still had nightmares about that day with Lee, but killing became a normal thing for her now, like it would with Louis eventually. He had never been exposed to the repulsive side of things, for he had been sheltered behind walls his whole life.

And being sheltered like that does that to a person, hides them from the reality of the apocalyptic world. He would strengthen up eventually, it would just take time and reassurance. Louis however, wasn't the type of person to accept reassurance, he doubted himself too much, never ever believed in himself, and this made Clem hurt, but she would continue to believe in him until he believed in himself.

She found him one night taking watch by himself in the guard tower, and although her shift wasn't until morning, she decided to join him anyway, to see if she could get something out of him, for everyone had been trying the past couple weeks. He turns and looks down, slightly startled when he hears her ascent up the ladders. But seeing the familiar blue cap and brown hair, he sighs and looks back put over the courtyard.

Clem doesn't say anything once she reaches the top, just leans against the railing and watches over the courtyard as well. Louis turns to look at her, confused at her silence, he half expected her to rant to him about how he hadn't been eating properly, or how he hadn't left his room unless its absolutely necessary. But she didn't.

"Your shift isn't until morning" He breaks the silence, bluntly stating the fact that she was already aware of.

"I know, I thought I'd keep you company" She replies softly, afraid that if she came off as demanding he would shut down on her.

"You don't have to, I'll be fine, you should probably go to sleep or you'll be tired in the morning". Clementine could feel her heart swell at his words. Even when he's hurting, he still is concerned for her well being. He could lose his sense of humour, his passion, his everything but the one thing that he would never lose is how much he cares about the people he loves.

"No ill stay, I probably wouldn't have slept anyway" She admits, not mentioning that the cause of her sleepless nights were because of him.

"You been having your nightmares again?" He asks, concern in his eyes as he gazes over at her.

She inwardly creases. "No, its not that"

"What's keeping you up then?"

She pauses for a second, debating on whether to tell him or not, she didn't want his guilt to increase anymore than it already had, but she also wanted him to know that there was people who were worried about him.

She sighs, looking him dead in eye as she spoke. "I'm worried about you Louis, everyone is".

He breaks their eye contact to look back out over the courtyard. "You shouldn't be, I'm fine"