Part Two - Chapter Thirty: The World Cup Final

“It’s wonderful to see you,” Celia said hugging her daughter-in-law, the entire family had flown out to Brazil to watch Lionel play in the final.

Lucia smiled stepping back from Celia, she felt entirely relaxed and she couldn’t wait to share the news that her and Lionel were expecting again.

Maia babbled as she was handed to her mother, she had slept on the flight and Annabelle had adored having her granddaughter to herself for a little while.

“You look well,” Jorge said with a smile, he was sure that the time alone with Lionel had done wonders for the couple and he was delighted that Lionel hadn’t fallen for Antonella a second time.

Lucia nodded her head balancing Maia on her hip, the little girl was wearing a baby kit and fit in perfectly with the rest of her family.

Lucia was wearing a ladies Argentina home jersey and black slim boot cut jeans paired with navy chunky canvas lace up pumps; she was surprised how many members of Lionel’s family had travelled for the match.

“How is he?” Celia asked as the group headed towards their seats, she looked at Lucia sure that she had tried to keep Lionel calm; he had so much pressure on him right now.

Lucia settled Maia slightly on her hip, she hadn’t really seen Lionel that day as he had prepared for the match against Germany but she had seen him briefly before.

“Nervous,” Lucia said as she cooed at Maia, she was sure Lionel was going to do his best; he deserved to win and she knew he would be devastated if he didn’t.

Celia nodded her head smiling, everyone was putting so much pressure on Lionel and she hoped that he would do well; he had worked so hard to get his country to the final.

***

Lucia chewed on her lip settling Maia on her lap, the match was still nil-nil and it was clear that maybe this was going to drag on; the first half had dragged on and now the second half was doing the same.

“You look worried?” Rodrigo said looking at his sister-in-law, he was still amazed that Lucia hadn’t divorced his brother for what he had done to her.

However the couple had never been stronger and Rodrigo was pleased to see that Lucia and Lionel were still going strong; Maia was a beautiful little girl and he hoped to see them have more children in the future.

“For him…” Lucia said with a sad smile, she cuddled Maia watching the match; she could see Lionel getting frustrated and she feared what might happen if this went into extra time.

“He’s going to be so upset if Argentina don’t win,” Lucia said she hated that there was no score and Germany were playing just as well as Argentina were; she worried how Lionel would take it if he couldn’t do anything for his team.

Lucia brushed some hair from her face, her blue eyes easily seeking out her husband; she prayed that things went well and he would be able to do something.

“It’ll be okay… either way he did well,” Matías said with a smile, he was proud of his little brother and he would always be; Lionel had done so much with his life.

Lionel had a successful career as a world class footballer, he had a gorgeous, supportive wife and a beautiful little girl; what more could any man ask for.

“I know… I just worry,” Lucia said with a shake of her head, she rested her head against Maia’s; she hadn’t told anyone that they were having another baby yet, it didn’t seem like the right time to share that news and she wished to wait a little longer.

***

Lucia felt like screaming as the match drifted into extra time, she balanced Maia on her hip watching her husband; her heart aching for him and she had a feeling that this wasn’t going to end well.

“Come on… por favor,” Lucia prayed closing her eyes, she held her daughter close as she felt horrible and the heat in the stadium was driving her mad; she didn’t know how the footballers were all coping with it.

Maia babbled happily as she closed her blue eyes, she was four and a half months old and it wouldn’t be long before she was a big sister.

“This is insane,” Maria Sol complained as the match continued, it reminded everyone of the last world cup and everyone feared who might win this match; Lucia nodded her head in agreement as she watched Germany surge towards the goal.

Everyone watched in horror as Mario Götze scored, it was the last thing that Argentina needed right now; it could be the final nail in the coffin for the match.

Lucia closed her eyes, she didn’t wish to see the look on her husband’s face; she was still praying for a miracle and she was sure that they could turn it around.

“It’s okay… there’s still fifteen minutes,” Matías said as the first half of extra time came to an end, everyone was on the edge of their seats and Lucia could see that Lionel was frustrated with how the match was going.

Lionel sipped on his water and ran a hand through his hair, he couldn’t believe that this could be how it ended; he just didn’t know what he was going to do.

The Argentinian captain wanted to win the tournament for his wife and daughter, the two women that meant everything to him and it was slipping through his fingers.

Lucia watched Lionel, she wanted nothing more than to give him a comforting hug but she wasn’t going to be able to comfort him until the match was over; she hated that she couldn’t be by his side.

Maia pouted as the match continued, both sides trying so hard to score but it just wasn’t possible; it seemed so unreal when the final whistle blew.

The German fans going mad as Germany won their fourth world cup, it was just too much and Lucia couldn’t take her eyes off her husband.

“Could you watch Maia?” Lucia asked turning to Jorge, she looked at him hopefully; she needed to go to Lionel and she hoped that Jorge understood.

Jorge nodded his head as he carefully took Maia, he didn’t have to ask where she was going and he already knew; Lionel needed her right now and Jorge couldn’t stop her.

Lucia thanked him as she carefully handed Maia over to her grandfather, her eyes already seeking out Lionel; he was devastated and she needed to be with him right now.

Lucia quickly moved from her seat and down the steps, she slipped past the security who probably recognised her as Lionel Messi’s wife; she didn’t waste a moment before she hurried over to her husband.

Lionel didn’t see Lucia coming until she had wrapped her arms around him, he didn’t even realise that it was her until he pushed her back a little; he blinked surprised to see his wife on the pitch with him.

“I am so proud of you,” Lucia said kissing Lionel, she pulled him close as she tried to calm him; she felt tears brush against her cheeks as Lionel started to cry. Lucia pulled back and hugged him, she hated that it had been so close and there was nothing that could be done now.

Lucia whispered over and over again, how proud she was of him; she closed her eyes as she heard the stadium prepare for the awards ceremony, her heart breaking for Lionel and how hard he had worked.

“I love you and there is nothing that you could to ever disappoint me,” Lucia said pulling back, she cupped her husband’s face as a smile filled her face; she was sure that everything would be okay.