Part Two - Chapter Twenty-Six: I'm Not Interested

Antonella took a shaky breath as she watched Lionel walk out of the hotel carrying his daughter, she knew that she shouldn’t be here but she couldn’t resist.

Argentina had just beaten Iran the day before and she had been so happy for Lionel; he was living his dream and she wished that she could be at his side while he did so.

However after what had happened between them, Antonella knew that it wasn’t possible; Lionel had made it clear the last time that she had seen him that he wanted nothing to do with her.

Lucia clearly felt threatened by Antonella and the woman didn’t blame her, people were saying that they’d had an emotional affair and Antonella had caused enough trouble in the past for them.

Maia looked so much like Lucia that it made Antonella’s heartache a little, she had hoped to see a little Lionel running around but there was no denying how adorable the little girl was.

Antonella frowned as she wondered if she’d had Lionel’s baby, would it look like Lionel or her; she had been thinking about it a lot recently and she hated that she still had feelings for her ex-boyfriend.

Taking a deep breath, Antonella tried to build up confidence as she moved out of her hiding place and walked over to Lionel who was chatting happily with a couple of his team-mates.

They had clearly finished training for the day and were waiting for their spouses to return from their afternoon trip shopping.

“Leo,” Antonella greeted stopping just feet from her former boyfriend, she could see the tension in his shoulders as he turned to face with Sergio Agüero; she was far from welcome at the team hotel and she knew it.

“How are you?” Antonella asked glancing down at Maia, she smiled as she spoke knowing that Lionel was a wonderful father for the little girl.

Lionel held his daughter close wondering why she was here, they hadn’t spoken in months and yet Antonella kept popping up whenever his life was going well.

“What do you want?” Sergio demanded glaring at Antonella, she had nearly destroyed his friend’s marriage and he knew that Lucia wouldn’t want her hang around at all.

Lionel glanced at Sergio relieved that his friend was with him, he wouldn’t be able to stop himself from snapping at Antonella if he wasn’t.

“I came for the tournament…” Antonella said shifting uncomfortably, she didn’t wish to admit that things weren’t going well between her and Diego; they were having problems and they all seemed to link to her feelings for Lionel.

Antonella insisted that she could be friends with Lionel after what happened, it hadn’t been her fault that Lionel had gotten carried away last time.

“And I wanted to see you,” Antonella said peeking warily at the other footballers, none of them looked welcoming and she wished she’d waited until he was alone.

Lionel swallowed taking a deep breath, he wasn’t going to risk his marriage to Lucia; she had forgiven him and he was going to keep her trust.

“I’m not interested Anto… go back to Diego,” Lionel said as he watched her, he wasn’t going to waste his time on her anymore and he was finally moving on with his life.

Sergio grinned as they prepared to head to a restaurant where the spouses were waiting for them; he knew that Lucia would be so happy when she heard about this and he knew that Lionel was finally letting go.

“What if I told you that Diego and I weren’t working out,” Antonella said desperately as she tried to stop Lionel from leaving, she didn’t want to go back to her grumpy boyfriend who just didn’t understand her.

Antonella looked at Lionel hopefully, she wished she’d never let him go since Lionel was what she had always wanted; she had been happy and because of a couple of hiccups she had left him.

“I’m a happily married man, what you do has nothing to do with me,” Lionel said glaring back at his ex-girlfriend; she couldn’t believe that she was trying to guilt him like that.

Antonella had bene the one to end things and he had been devastated, he was finally in a happy place and she wanted him back; that wasn’t how things worked especially now he had Lucia.

“I know… I just… I miss you,” Antonella said looking down at her hands, things had been so easy when she had been with Lionel and now everything seemed so hard.

Antonella just wished that she could turn back time and go back to a time where Lionel didn’t look at her like he hated her.

“I’m sorry Anto… that doesn’t change anything,” Lionel said shaking his head, he would never go back to her and he had a family now; he was living the life that he had always wanted.

***

Lucia smiled as Lionel walked into the restaurant with Maia in his arms, she got to her feet pleased to see them both; she’d really enjoyed her day out with some of the other spouses.

Sergio grinned passing Lucia, he knew that she was lucky that Lionel had learnt his lesson; he had put Antonella in her place and he was so happy for his friend right now.

“Hola,” Lucia greeted as she pressed a kiss to Lionel’s lips, she peeked at Maia who was content in her father’s arms; Lucia was eleven weeks pregnant and it wouldn’t be long until they had another one.

Lionel grinned watching his wife take Maia, he knew that he would never trade in his life now for the one that he had with Antonella.

“Hola… how was your shopping trip?” Lionel asked moving to sit down, he nodded in greeting to a couple of people; he had loved spending the morning with Maia and it made his heart warm when he thought that she was going to have a baby brother or sister next year.

Lucia smiled as she told Lionel about her day, she could sense that something had happened and it made her curious about what had happened.

“Leo?” Lucia asked her blue eyes watching him as he smiled and pressed a kiss to her lips; there was nothing that he loved more than his wife and daughter.

Lionel pulled back and reached for a menu, he would tell Lucia later about what had happened with Antonella; he wasn’t going to ruin their day just because his ex was being a pain.

“There’s nothing for you to worry about Lia,” Lionel said sitting Maia on her mother’s knee, he didn’t want her worrying when he had dealt with the situation; Antonella was nothing more than his past to him now.

Lucia nodded her head warily, she didn’t like that he was keeping things from her; it set her on edge and she hoped that it wasn’t anything bad.

“I will tell you later,” Lionel promised smiling at his wife, he didn’t want her worrying over this; he would never do that to her again and he knew it would be okay.

Lucia nodded her head as Lionel took her hand and kissed it, she trusted Lionel but there were some things that made her nervous; she just hoped that he hadn’t done anything stupid.

“Don’t look so worried,” Lionel murmured pressing a kiss to her lips, he knew that she had every reason to do so but he was always going to be faithful to her.

Lionel wasn’t going to risk his family for anyone especially Antonella, she just wasn’t worth it; he had done that last time and got burnt, he wasn’t willing to do that again especially now he was finally happy.