Part One - Chapter Fifteen: Meeting Poppy Messi

Lionel grinned as he looked at his wife as he locked the front door, the blonde had no idea where they were going; he had done some research and had decided that today would be the day that they went a choose their puppy.

Lucia eyed her husband wondering what he was up to, she had been quite comfortable watching a film when he had returned and declared that they were going out.

“So where are we going?” Lucia asked as she brushed some hair from her face, her blue eyes looking at him wondering what he had planned; he had all but ushered her from their home and was now planning to drive her somewhere.

Lionel grinned as he unlocked his Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale, he knew that she would like what he had planned; he had organised a viewing at some puppies that were being advertised in the paper and he knew that Lucia would like some company since she was going to home a lot.

“It’s a surprise,” Lionel teased as he headed towards the car, he knew that this was a big step but he wanted to give the puppy time to adjust before he went back to training.

Lucia groaned hating when he kept her in the dark, she knew that when Lionel got an idea in his head then he wasn’t going to change his mind no matter what anyone said to him.

Lucia had barely been in Barcelona for more than two days and already he had dragged her around most of the city, they had been photographed several time with people now wondering who she was to the star footballer.

Lucia walked over to the car and climbed inside, hoping that her white knitted halter top in mohair and high waist skinny jeans paired with strapped heeled tan ankle boots would be okay for wherever he was taking her.

***

Lionel grinned to himself as he glanced at his wife, he had asked her to blindfold herself since he wanted this to be a surprise; he knew that she’d never had a dog and he was sure that she would like this.

“Are we there yet?” Lucia asked annoyed that he wouldn’t let her see where he was taking her, she crossed her arms as she tried to get comfortable in her car seat; they had been driving for a while and they didn’t seem to be getting any closer.

Lucia had wondered if he had planned to do something drastic since he wouldn’t tell her what was going on; she hadn’t met any of his friends or team-mates yet and she wondered if any of them would be at the contract signing.

“Sí,” Lionel said as he pulled up outside of a house and removed his seatbelt, he glanced at Lucia knowing that in a couple of moments, she would know what they had come for.

Lionel quickly climbed out of his car and moved quickly to help Lucia from it as well, he had already informed the owner that they were coming to see the puppies and that it was a surprise for his new wife.

“Okay seriously Leo,” Lucia grumbled as she allowed Lionel to carefully walk over the stone path, she didn’t know what was going on but she knew that her husband was going to have to have an excellent explanation for what he was doing.

Lionel chuckled as he carefully helped her up the steps as the owner stepped out of the house and smiled at the couple.

“Hola… we spoke over the phone,” Lionel said as he kept a hold of Lucia, he smiled politely at the woman before them while Lucia looked around confused wondering who he was talking to since she couldn’t see.

“I swear to God Lionel, if you leave me in the desert or anything I am going to come back and haunt you,” Lucia said making the footballer snort amused while the woman laughed, it was clear that it had been a long trip and Lucia was far from happy that she was being kept in the dark.

The woman showed the couple into her home and threw to where the puppies where, she nodded her head at the footballer who watched her leave before he moved to remove Lucia’s blindfold.

Lucia opened her mouth to snap at him when she noticed where they were, Lucia looked around confused wondering what was going on before she heard the whimpers off to the side.

Lionel grinned as the look on his wife’s face softened at the sight of the puppies, he didn’t blame her for being annoyed but he knew that he was going to make her very happy.

“Leo?” Lucia asked softly as she looked at her husband for answers, she couldn’t find the words to ask him what was going on; she remembered that he had mentioned getting a puppy but she hadn’t thought he was this serious.

Lionel eyed his wife for a moment before he crouched down and stroked the puppies that had gathered near the couple; they were only five weeks old and wouldn’t be leaving their mother for a couple more weeks but he wanted to have a puppy ready to come home with them.

“I said we’d be getting a puppy,” Lionel said shrugging his shoulders, his attention now focused on the puppies that were before him; he knew that there was no way that he could regret this decision.

Lucia looked at him speechlessly for a moment before she shook her head, she knew this was going to be something that she would have to get used to.

“They’re blue merle Border Collies,” Lionel said as he moved to carefully pick one of the puppies up and hand it to his wife knowing that this was going to be interesting.

Lucia cuddled the puppy knowing that she’d never be able to choose, she would end up wanting them all and she doubted that it would be a good idea; they had only just got married and started to live together.

“Por favor don’t make me choose,” Lucia said as she pouted, she didn’t know how she would be able to choose between the adorable balls of fluff; the blonde looked at the puppy as Lionel chuckled and nodded his head.

He carefully reached over and stroked the puppy before he looked around at the others, he knew that this was difficult and he wasn’t sure what to look for when it came to doing this.

“They’re all so adorable,” Lucia murmured as she set the puppy that she was holding back in the pen and stroked the other puppies; the footballer nodded his head as he watched her with the puppies before she picked another one up.

Lucia whispered to it making a smile form on his face, he felt a strong feeling tug on his stomach as he watched her with the puppy.

“Lia,” Lionel said softly making Lucia glance at him as she continued to coo at the puppy, he knew with no doubt in his mind that this was the puppy that they were going to have.

Lionel carefully moved forward and brushed his fingers through the puppy’s fur, he smiled knowing that it would only add to their small family until the couple were ready for a baby.

“What shall we call her?” Lucia asked as she carefully shifted her hold on the female pup that was in her arms, she knew that it was going to take some getting used to.

“How about Poppy?” Lionel asked as he smiled down at the puppy as it licked his fingers, he chuckled knowing that she would be perfect for then.

Poppy was going to keep Lucia company while he played and travelled with his team and he knew she’d be able to keep the blonde safe when she was older.