Part Two - Chapter Eleven: Water Breaking

Lucia sighed as she climbed quietly out of bed and looked at her husband of ten months, it was the middle of the night and while Lucia was tired, she just couldn’t sleep.

Lucia was officially at the end of her pregnancy and she was due any day now, it had only made Lionel more nervous to leave her alone.

Lionel had done everything in his power to ensure that she was never alone unless it was necessary, he even had Shakira staying with Lucia when he had training.

“Lia?” Lionel murmured sensing his wife’s movement out of bed, he rolled over to look at her concerned as she paused; her hand resting on her bump as she looked at him.

Lucia hadn’t meant to wake him up, she was just having twinges and she doubted that anything was wrong; she just couldn’t sleep right now.

“Is everything alright amor?” Lionel asked concerned as he sat up and turned on the bedside light, his brown eyes watching her worried that there was something wrong with their baby.

Lucia shook her head as she offered Lionel a tired smile, she didn’t want to worry him but her back was sore and she just felt like crying; she was starting to get annoyed with her pregnancy.

“I’m fine Leo, go back to sleep,” Lucia said as she tried to reassure him, he had a match against Almería coming up that weekend and after losing to Real Sociedad the weekend before it was important that he got his rest.

Lionel shook his head as he pushed the covers away from his body, he stretched a little as he continued to eye his wife concerned; she was keeping something from him.

“Lia por favor,” Lionel murmured as he reached for her, he hated that she was keeping something from him; he could see she was in some sort of pain right now.

“I think I’m having contractions…” Lucia confessed as she looked at Lionel, she knew he would worry now that she had told him and it was the reason that she had been trying to step out of the room for a while.

Lucia wouldn’t be able to go to the hospital until her water broke and it could just be a case of Braxton Hicks contractions; there was really no need for Lionel to get up right now.

Lionel quickly climbed out of bed and started to get dressed, he didn’t want to take any chances with his wife especially if this was happening.

Lionel wanted to be prepared and if this was only early labour then he had time to put everything in the car so that they were prepared.

The two bags that they were taking to the hospital were currently sat in a cupboard by the door so that they wouldn’t be in the way.

In the three weeks since the couple had fixed their marriage, Lionel had prepared everything so that when Lucia went into labour it would be ready.

“Leo, you don’t need to get up,” Lucia insisted as she winced at another contraction twinge, she rested a hand on her bump and rubbed carefully knowing that she didn’t want him panicking over nothing.

Lucia’s twinges where about twenty minutes apart and she knew that there was a chance that this was really happening; but she wasn’t sure if she was ready for their baby to be born.

***

“Everything’s in the car,” Lionel said as he walked into the living room where he had set Lucia up before he had gone to put their bags into the car; he felt nervous and he knew that he couldn’t risk anyone finding out that their baby might be coming.

Lucia nodded her head as she glanced at the clock, she knew that the twinges were starting to get closer but her water’s still hadn’t broken.

Lucia gritted her teeth knowing that this wasn’t a false alarm, their baby girl was coming and there was nothing that was going to stop this from happening.

“I think we should go to the hospital,” Lucia said as she looked at Lionel, she didn’t know if she was going to be able to do this without pain medication.

Lucia knew that there sooner she was checked in at the hospital then her midwife would be able to tell her what was going on.

Lionel nodded his head as he caught hold of Poppy’s collar and led her over to the main room, he didn’t want her peeing everywhere when he didn’t know when someone would be home to let her out; he wasn’t going to leave Lucia’s side the entire time she was in hospital.

Lucia gasped in surprised as she felt a gushing feeling as she pushed herself to her feet, she looked down at the wooden floor and groaned as she realised what had just happened.

“My water just broke,” Lucia said as Lionel wandered back into the living room, she rested a hand on the couch as she shook her feet a little to dry them.

Lucia certainly hadn’t been expecting that when she had stood up, she hadn’t been expecting her water to break until she reached the hospital.

“It’s okay amor… I’ll clean it up later, let’s just get you to the hospital,” Lionel said as he collected her black suede loafers and moved to help her put them on so that they could got to the car.

Lucia nodded her head as she grumbled annoyed under her breath as she allowed Lionel to slip on her shoes, she was wearing a navy maternity wrap front jersey dress so that she was comfortable.

“How are you feeling?” Lionel asked as he wrapped his arm carefully around Lucia as he started to walk her towards the car.

Lionel wanted to get to the hospital as quickly as possible; it was two o’clock in the morning and there wouldn’t be a lot of traffic on the roads.

“I’ve been better,” Lucia said as she offered him a weak smile, she didn’t want to tell Lionel how scared she was right now; the idea of giving birth was now a frightening prospect for her.

Lionel nodded his head as he led her out to the Audi Q7, they didn’t have time to waste with a nineteen minute trip to USP Dexeus hospital-clinic; he just hoped that they would make it in time.

“I love you,” Lucia said as she looked at Lionel as he moved to open the car door for her, she hadn’t really said it to him before but now felt like the right time for her to say those three little words.

Lionel paused as he turned to look at Lucia, her hand resting on her bump as he realised what she had said to him; the footballer hadn’t thought she’d be ready to say those words to him yet.

“I love you too,” Lionel replied with a smile, he moved to help her into the car knowing that there wasn’t time to waste.

Lionel was trying to remember a quick route since there was work being done on the road into the city and he didn’t want his daughter born in his car.

Lucia smiled at him gratefully as she moved to pull on her seatbelt, she wasn’t sure how long she was going to be in labour but she was glad that Lionel was by her side.

“We’re going to be parents,” Lionel said excitedly as he climbed into the driver’s side of the car, he knew that this wasn’t going to be an easy time but the reward at the end would be perfect.

They were going to have a baby girl and the footballer knew he wasn’t going to allow anyone to ruin this for them.

This was a happy moment and when they had their little girl, Lionel was determined to enjoy some time with her and her mother before the media descended wanting every detail on his little girl.

Lucia took a deep breath, she had a feeling that this was going to be a long night and it was only just beginning.