Part One - Chapter Twenty: Build a Life

Shakira raised an eyebrow at Lucia as she listened to her friend talk about what had happened between her and Lionel; the singer was appalled about what she was hearing from the blonde.

“I don’t know, what to do?” Lucia said with a sigh, she knew that there was little that she could do to change her husband’s mind; he seemed to be determined to hold onto the past that he had with Antonella.

Lucia had spent the last week since they had slept and talked about what had closed Lionel off to love and things had only gotten stranger; Lucia just wasn’t sure what to do anymore since Lionel refused to talk with her.

“Maybe you should focus on you, instead of him,” Shakira said as she set down her drink, she looked at Lucia knowing that Lionel should have been more honest with his wife before they had married; in the five weeks of their marriage and relationship Lucia had nothing.

Lucia looked at Shakira knowing what her friend was saying, she had been completely focused on Lionel; she didn’t have anything to do in Barcelona and she needed to do something.

“Find yourself a job and do something, show Leo what he is missing,” Shakira said knowing that Lionel wouldn’t be interested in her friend if Lucia kept acting like a puppy around him; she needed to stand on her own feet and Shakira had a plan.

Lucia nodded her head knowing that right now her husband had no interest in her, her heart ached that he was ignoring her and that he couldn’t see how much he was hurting her.

Shakira pushed herself to her feet making Lucia look at her friend confused before the singer walked out of the living room making her wonder where she was going.

Lucia quickly got to her feet and hurried up the stairs after Shakira who had walked straight into the bedroom that she shared with Lionel; she furrowed her brow as Shakira started looking through her things.

“What are you doing?” Lucia asked curiously as she watched Shakira slowly start to move her clothes out of the shared wardrobe and into a pile; she didn’t know what the singer had planned.

Shakira grinned as she moved to look at her friend, she knew that this had to happen if Lionel was to ever realise his feelings for Lucia; she could tell the footballer did cared for Lucia even if he didn’t see it.

“You are moving into one of the spare rooms,” Shakira said knowing that this would make things easier on Lucia, she was going to ensure that Lionel didn’t think what he was doing was okay.

The last thing that Shakira wanted was for Lucia to get hurt, she had seen the fall out of Lionel’s break up with Antonella and she knew it wouldn’t end well for anyone if the other woman came back.

“I am?” Lucia asked as she moved to help Shakira, she was curious about what the singer had thought of since she knew that the last thing that Lionel wanted was for anyone to get suspicious.

***

Lucia nibbled on her lip as she looked at Shakira, she knew her friend was trying to help but this was all a little too much; she followed after her friend as the woman led her through an art gallery.

“Why are we here?” Lucia asked as she looked down at the navy lace yoke shirt and white high waist skinny jeans paired with black peep toe heeled sandals; she hadn’t known why she had been forced to change.

Shakira had insisted that she dress in these clothes before she had dragged the blonde to an art gallery, it made Lucia wonder what was going on.

Shakira just smiled as she continued to lead the blonde through the art gallery knowing that they couldn’t be late; she had called in a favor from a friend and she knew that it would be a great opportunity for Lucia.

The two continued to hurry through the art gallery before a smile warmed Shakira’s face as she moved forward to greet a man that was stood waiting.

“Marco,” the singer greeted the man, she gave him a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek knowing that he was the one that they had come to see; he owed her a favor and she knew that he’d be able to get Lucia a job working at the art gallery.

“It’s wonderful to see you Shakira… now what can I do for you?” Marco asked as he pulled back from the singer, he had been a little surprised that she had called him; he wondered if everything was okay.

“This is my friend Lucia, she’s looking for a job,” Shakira said as she pulled the blonde to her side, she knew that Marco would recognise who she was especially since everyone knew now that she was married to Lionel Messi.

The art consultant raised an eyebrow as he looked at Lucia, he knew from just one look who she was and he was surprised that this was landing on his lap.

Marco needed something to draw attention to the art gallery and he knew that this could be what he was looking for; Lucia Messi was a mystery to the world since no one knew anything about her.

“Of course, come right this way,” Marco said as he signalled for the two women to follow after him, he wanted to get this sorted now since he was sure that having the world’s greatest footballer’s wife working for him would attract the right attention.

***

Lionel looked confused as he watched Lucia prepare dinner, she had a smile on her face and he knew her stuff had gone from his bedroom and moved into the spare room.

The footballer didn’t know what had happened while he had been at training, however he knew that it had changed something between them.

“How was your day?” Lionel asked as he leant against the counter, his eyes watching Lucia as she worked knowing that she was still a little upset about what he had said to her a week before; Lucia had been so determined to make him change his mind.

Lucia paused for a moment before she shrugged, she remembered her talk with Shakira and knew that focusing on herself was her best option right now; she wasn’t going to panda to Lionel anymore, she was going to build herself a life.

“I got a job,” Lucia said as she continued to make dinner, she was going to treat their relationship like a business arrangement just like Lionel wanted; she was going to make him see just how lonely that would be.

Lionel had no idea about what she had planned and he had no idea just how badly this would go if she did treat this like a business arrangement.

Lionel frowned as his wife’s words, he didn’t want her working especially since he could easily provide for her; he had no idea what had brought this on.

“You don’t need a job,” Lionel said childishly as he watched Lucia, she was his wife and when they started trying for children; he wanted her to run his home.

Lucia rolled her blue eyes as she moved to plate up, she wasn’t interested in what he had to say about this; she had a job and there was nothing he could say to change that.

Lionel frowned as he watched Lucia, she wasn’t backing down and he knew that there was nothing that he could do if she wanted to work; he looked at her wondering what had happened to make her do this.