Part One - Chapter Fourteen: Welcome Home

Lionel chuckled as he looked over at Lucia as she grumbled to herself, the footballer reached over and helped her with her suitcase; the blonde was exhausted after their flight and he knew she’d be grateful when they arrived home.

“How long is the drive home?” Lucia asked as she shouldered her black flap backpack, she looked at her husband hoping that it wasn’t a long one especially since she wanted to go to sleep; the blonde yawned softly as she covered her mouth with her arm.

Lionel stretched a little as they waited for his suitcase, his brown eyes watching Lucia contently as she brushed some hair from her face; he was glad she had agreed to do this for him.

“About twenty minutes,” Lionel said knowing that his home wasn’t far from the airport, the footballer lived in Castelldefels and had done for about five years now; he liked living just outside of the city, he didn’t have to deal with the paparazzi that stalked his friends that lived in the city.

Lucia nodded her head, she was sort of relieved that they didn’t have far to go and she couldn’t wait to sleep for a good ten hours; she was exhausted and she wanted to just curl up in bed.

Lionel collected his suitcase and smiled at Lucia, he knew she wasn’t the only one that was looking forward to getting so much needed sleep; the chairs on their plane hadn’t been comfortable and he wanted nothing more than to curl up in bed for a few days before he was due at the Camp Nou to sign his new contract that would keep him at the club.

“Shall we go home?” Lionel asked as he offered to take Lucia’s luggage for her, he knew that everyone was going to be looking at them when they left the airport; everyone would want to see Lionel Messi’s wife.

***

“Welcome home,” Lionel said as he unlocked the front door and allowed Lucia to step inside, he watched her knowing that she would probably want to redecorate since the place needed to look like a married couple lived there.

It was still very much a bachelor pad since Lionel had lived there alone since Antonella had left and he had decorated himself last year when he had decided that he hated how his home looked and how it reminded him of how it wasn’t good enough for her.

“What do you think?” Lionel asked nervously as he watched Lucia check out the main section of their home, he shifted worrying that she wouldn’t like it; he knew that a lot was going to have to change and he hoped that she would feel at home.

Lucia looked at Lionel wondering why he was so nervous, she didn’t know why he was so nervous about her not liking their home; she had to admit that it would need decorating but that was only so it looked like a couple lived there and not a bachelor.

“Leo don’t be so nervous… the house is fine,” Lucia said as she crossed her arms and watched the footballer, she knew that he had a lot at stake right now and she didn’t blame him for worrying a little.

Lucia moved closer to Lionel, they had a couple of days before they had to be seen in public for the signing of his new contract; he would end his career at Barcelona just like everyone wanted, even if it wasn’t what he deserved anymore.

“Can we get some sleep? I’m exhausted and you look like you could do with a couple of hours as well,” Lucia said as she smiled at Lionel, she stifled a yawn making Lionel nod his head; it had been a long week for them and he knew it was only beginning.

The footballer led Lucia up the stairs and showed her to their bedroom, he pushed opened the door before setting his suitcase inside; his brown eyes watching her curiously as she looked around their bedroom.

“This is us,” Lionel said as he wondered what she thought, Lucia was still a mystery to him and he knew that even with knowing her before they had married that they still had thirteen years to catch up on; he wanted to ensure that they were happy.

Lucia nodded her head as she eyed the dark walls of the room, she wrinkled her nose knowing that this was the first room that she was going to change; the walls were a little depressing and she knew that they couldn’t remain that way if they wanted to pull this off.

“The en-suite is through there and there wardrobe is next to it,” Lionel said pointing out the two doors, he doubted that she would want to change in front of him; it wasn’t something that he was prepared for yet either even if they were married now.

Lucia nodded her head as she removed her black flap backpack and set it down before she moved to her suitcase, she opened it and searched for some suitable nightwear while Lionel headed over to the bed and sat down.

***

Lucia brushed her teeth and looked at herself in the bathroom mirror as she gave herself a mental pep-talk, she was dressed in her flower rush cami top and french knicker shorts while her clothes were neatly folded nearby.

Lucia didn’t know why she was so nervous about spending the night sleeping next to Lionel, she had done it a few times now especially when they were trying to convince her parents that they were a very much in love newly wedded couple.

“Come on Castro you can do this,” Lucia muttered to herself, her blue eyes looking at herself in the mirror as she ignored the fact that, that wasn’t her surname anymore; she was Lucia Messi now and she knew that that was what people were going to call her from now on.

Lucia took a deep breath, she ran her fingers through her hair as she tried to ease her nerves; she was being silly but she couldn’t help but feel awkward.

Lucia jumped as she heard a knock on the bathroom door, she groaned softly under her breath knowing that she couldn’t stay in the bathroom any longer; she collected her things before she moved to leave the en-suite.

Lionel jumped as Lucia opened the door, his brown eyes widened as he looked at the blonde a little surprised before he cleared his throat; he really hadn’t expected her to open the door so quickly.

“Siento,” Lucia said as she quickly moved past Lionel so that he could walk into the bathroom, she blushed at the look of lust that flickered through her husband’s eyes; she was surprised that she had this effect on him.

Lucia quickly set about putting her dirty clothes into a pile before she glanced at the bed, she was suddenly glad that Lionel had set up his side so she didn’t have to ask him; her blue eyes moved to the bathroom wondering how this was going to work.

Sliding into bed, Lucia made herself comfortable as she pulled out her book and opened it so that she wouldn’t be caught staring at Lionel when he came out of the bathroom.

The footballer didn’t spend much time in the en-suite before he stepped wearing just a set of sweatpants, he looked at Lucia and cleared his throat making the blonde look at him.

Lionel smirked as he spotted the look on her face at his topless form, he pretended not to notice before he moved to put his things away; he was glad that the attraction between them wasn’t just one sided on his part, he liked the reaction that she had given to him.