29•It can stay a secret for a while

●・○・●・○・●・○・●

●・○・●・○・●・○・●

'Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead.'

●・○・●・○・●・○・●

The train chugged, jolting Kefira's head to the side. Her blonde locks splayed against the window beside her as she looked out at the country that went by in a blur, it looked like a photo, one where the capturer is shaking too fast to take a clear shot of the astonishing landscapes.

She had promised her brother she wouldn't hide, from her friends. She had promised him she would find them and join them in a carriage. She lied.

She wore dark clothes, rather than her school robes, her hair tumbled in messy waves as she looked out the window. The truth was she just wanted to retire to her bed; for she was tired and helpless. She didn't want to go back to school, she didn't feel the relief as normal. This time she only felt fear, for at Hogwarts there was no escape from facing the truth.

'Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.'

Kefira shuddered, the words of her headmaster swarming her brain. She didn't want to think about his intoxicating speeches. They only added more to her suffocating aurora. She hated every second of it, she hated how her headmaster could be so at peace every second of every day. She hated the way he seemed to know her deepest secrets, even when she hadn't told a soul. She hated how his blue-green eyes would sink into her soul, wanting her to spread her secrets. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

No. She didn't want anyone to pity her, for her brother was enough. She had accepted the fact that her fate was laid out for her, one that she didn't want, but she wasn't going to pity herself. No, Kefira was never one to pity herself, not even as a child when she would scrape her knee and her father would shout at her. She was stronger than that.

She inhaled a deep breath, feeling as the air inflated her lungs. She had her plan set out for this year, she was going to act normal. Kefira thought she at least deserved the rest of the year for happiness, for if she was returning next year; she would never know.

She heard the door to her compartment slide open, the bang of it made her shudder in fear, for the loudness that rang through her ears. Kefira always had sensitive hearing, she didn't know why, or which parent she had received this annoying trait from, but she hated it either way.

Taking two long, deep breaths, Kefira spun her head, taking one last meaningful look at the mass of greenery that awaited her on the other side of the window. Her cerulean eyes found brown as she looked at him.

Kefira didn't want to be seen in a weakened state, but could not help it as she looked at the coffee eyes. A silver tear slid down her small face, landing on her lip where she could taste the bitter saltiness of it.

Daniel furrowed is his eyebrows, striding over to sit beside her, his olive skin mixed with the pasty colour of her own. It wasn't a natural colour, it's pastiness almost made her look like a ghost. His thumb grazed across the top of her hand, an attempt to calm her racing nerves. His foot tapped calmly but rapidly like he had it rested on a nerve.

"What happened?" His voice was soft, caring. It made Kefira's heart swelter at the sound, she had missed the soft voice of Daniel Brandel.

Kefira didn't reply to the boy, using the back of her pasty-skinned hand to wipe away a fallen tear from her bloodshot eyes. She didn't want to imagine the state she looked at that moment, she didn't want to know what Daniel was truly feeling. Was he frightened? She would be if she walked into a compartment where he sat alone, bloodshot eyes and a broken heart.

But then Kefira's heart never was whole.

She knew how she felt for Daniel, she knew she cared deeply for him- love? Well, that was a question to ask another time- she would protect him in a life or death situation, without a doubt. But she wasn't sure what sort of relationship the two were better of with.

She knew her brother approved of her dating Daniel, and that was a huge development, for he had never approved on any of her previous boyfriends before. But then, was that really a reason for one to date somebody, because their brother approved? She knew she would have to break it off with Daniel soon, it's better than having the wound still fresh when the wedding happens, but she didn't know if she wanted to.

For some bizarre reason, Kefira felt calm if the fact she needed to break up with him, sooner better than later, and she didn't know why. Daniel seemed to understand her as nobody had ever before, not even her brother had treated her like this- like she meant the world to him. Perhaps it was the attention she fell in love with, or maybe it was just the coffee-coloured eyes that adoringly gazed at here across the room.

Maybe that's why Kefira couldn't do it, maybe she meant more to Daniel than he did to her.

He continued to stroke her hair, his broad fingers twirling around the strands, unknotting the messy strands. Kefira couldn't say she had cared about her appearance recently, she didn't care that she looked a mess in front of her boyfriend.  For Daniel made her feel relaxed, she could feel the tense muscles in her body relaxing as she leaned against the toned chest of her boyfriend.

Since dating the boy she had found out more about him, like how he played muggle sports when he went home for summer. Something Kefira did find amusing, was that he had a job in the muggle world, one to get him cash. Daniel had described it as a headstart for when he leaves school. But he said he delivered letters to people's houses, he said he was the owl of the muggle world. Something he liked to call a 'postman.' Kefira never would get muggles and their weird ways. She found them fascinating, but she would never understand them.

She would never understand why they decided to use people for a job that was clearly made for owls, or why they used silly ways to transport such as 'cars' when there were so many easier ways of transport.

Kefira wouldn't even know half of the things about the muggle world and their ways. And maybe that was why she was not the right girl for Daniel. He deserved somebody better than her, somebody who understood muggles and their ways, someone unlike her. 

But at that moment, sat in the compartment of the train and falling asleep to the soft hums of the trains coal burning. Kefira didn't care, for she felt relaxed, for the first time in weeks.

●・○・●・○・●・○・●

 Published 22/12/19 23:28