Chapter 10

Bakugo woke with an aching head and stiff muscles. He breathed in the distinctly medicinal smell of a hospital, layered with dozens of other scents.

Not again.

A familiar surge of alpha pheromones bombarded him and he pulled his eyes open, squinting against the harsh glare of the hospital lights.  A hand tightened its grip around his fingers and his eyes focused to take in a very worried Kirishima, who sat in a chair next to Bakugo's bed.

"Thank goodness," Kirishima breathed.

"How long was I out?" Bakugo asked, still feeling a bit disoriented.

"Not too long.  Maybe a couple hours.  Last I heard, most of the others are still unconscious."  He brought Bakugo's hand up to his lips reverently.

"Others?"

"A lot of other people were affected by that woman's quirk this time around.  The hospital is crazy right now. How are you feeling?" He looked up at Bakugo nervously.

He thoughtfully took stock of his body.  "Honestly... normal.  I have a headache but that's it.  The last time I was hit with the quirk I felt a lot worse." He paused, anxiety spiking.  "How do you feel?"

Do you still want me?  The question lingered on the tip of his tongue but he was afraid to speak it.  His heart thumped in his ears as he waited.

Kirishima's nose flared and he closed his eyes, a grin lighting up his face.  He curled his arms around Bakugo's waist and buried his head in his lap.  "I'm so happy, so very happy."

Bakugo inhaled the soft, gentle scent of Kirishima's soothing pheromones.  "I'm still an omega?" Confusion and relief coursed through him.

"Are you disappointed?" Kirishima asked, his voice strained with emotion, and Bakugo stroked his face, comforting his mate.

"No, but why?  I was hit with the quirk, too."  He frowned as he tried to puzzle it out.

Kirishima shrugged.  "I don't care if I ever know why.  I'm never letting you go."  A hard glint flickered in his eyes and then softened.  "I know you think that this relationship is a mistake, the result of some kind off freak accident, but I've never thought of it like that.  Not even for a minute. This is fate.  I've always loved you, Bakugo.  Always."

"What?"  Bakugo gaped at him.

A blush flared across his cheeks and the alpha looked down in embarrassment. "Since the first moment I met you at UA, I tried to bury my heart.  I thought there could never be anything between us because we were both alphas so I settled. If I could just stay your best friend forever maybe it would be enough."  He rubbed his flushed face.  "When you became an omega, I was ecstatic.  My rut and your heat messed with my head but it wasn't just that.  It was a golden opportunity, a sign from the universe to finally take what I've always wanted."  He smiled wryly.  "I guess I'm greedier than even I realized.  That is why when you told me that I'd go back to normal when our mate bond broke I told you that it wasn't true.  I can't go back to being just friends now. Bond or no bond.  You're my True Mate, I know it."

A heat spread through Bakugo's chest and he swallowed over the lump in his throat.  "Okay, shitty hair.  I get it.  I guess you can stay with me."

Kirishima's smile was blinding.  "Really?  You want to be mates with me?  You're okay with staying an omega?" 

Bakugo's face pinkened.  "What the fuck do you think I just said?"  He sighed, and pursed his lips.  "Look, I'm sorry," he forced the words out.  "I'm sorry for everything I put you through.  I hated it and missed you all the time.  I love you too, but I'm aware that I'm not the easiest guy to be with.  Are you sure that being with me is worth it?"